How to Change a Lease agreement with the previous owner

How to Change a Lease agreement with the previous owner

Duluth, GA · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 14 votes

I contacted the owner about a property that was advertised as vacant. However, when I went to view the property there was an entire family that had just moved in two days prior to me coming to see the property. I was told the previous owner had signed agreement with the tenant for only $650/month. I was very upset and contemplated backing out of the deal, but the owner (who is a private lender) was willing to do an owner finance deal with me. I saw this as a benefits due to this  gives me the opportunity to earn passive income without the debt showing on my credit. Terms of the loan with the lender/seller:

Sale price: 45,000

15% down at 9.85% amortized over 30 years.

My question is: Can I update the lease agreement the tenant has with the previous owner?

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    11y

    You won't be able to change the lease since it is a legal document.  You would be violating their rights by changing the lease after you own it. 

    If the owner is smart, he will file a lien against the property since it is financed.  I think that will trigger the debt on your credit report.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    You might be able to add an addendum, but you sure aren't increasing the rent.

    And this loan will in fact show on your credit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.