Who should pay to get rid of roaches,mouse in rental property?

13 Replies

To second Scott's question: check your lease.  Our lease provides that the tenant is responsible for pest control (we have single-family houses only).  Granted, we do ensure there are no pests at the time we hand off the property.

First have everyone leave he house and place a bomb in every room and close all the doors and windows

After you return have the place vacumned and reevaluate the condition as to the roaches and mice

As the owner of a rowhouse, over the past yr. we have paid for 2 different pest control co. to come find/seal mice holes and resolve the problem but the problem continues. Unfortunately the 2nd co. couldn't find any new mice holes and we continue to have mice visitors once in a while. We have explained to the tenants that we cannot keep continuing to pay for a new pest control co. to keep coming when there are no more holes they can identify. The tenants have been understanding & have just put out traps, baits, natural remedies, etc. We have done our part. 

Usually, mice extermination, cockroach pest control or any other maintenance activity is the duty of landlord but it can vary from place to place depending on the law and the landlord-tenant agreement. Me too advise you to check you rental agreement. If it is not mentioned to be taken care by tenant there then you can ask your landlord for taking care of pest control cost.

My lease states that if they find critters in the first 30 days I will have house treated, otherwise it is there responsibility.

You can't control how clean they live.

Boils down to what is in your lease. If you don't address it you should add this to your lease. I am always tweaking my lease to protect myself.


Regarding roaches, provided that the property is vacant, there is much success using Boric Acid. One could remove the fridge from its place and sprinkle a layer of "Boric Acid" under the "fridge area". (Do so with caution, as if you have a major infestation, the roaches will scatter.) Since the roaches will be attracted to the warm motor of the refrigerator, they will get the boric acid on them and eventually expire. There is also articles online where you can make a mixture of flour/boric acid/caro syrup. Then you can place marble-sized balls in areas in wet or damp areas, like under sinks, near water heater, etc. (Just make sure children and pets can't get to the areas you apply the boric acid. Don't breath the boric acid powder either and read up on it so that you can follow safety procedures such as using gloves.)

In my SFR, I pay for the initial extermination treatment when the tenant gets possession. After that, it is their responsibility per the lease. You should always provide a clean and pest free unit to a new tenant.

Rodents are the responsibility of land owner, bugs are the responsibility of tenant after the first 30 days, unless they were already present on said property   the landlord or p.m. cannot control the cleanliness of tenant

Perform a property inspection and see how clean they are living. If this is a multi unit building you will need to treat the whole building otherwise the pests run away from the poison to the other units.

For every roach you see there are typically tens to hundreds in the walls.

If they are living cleanly then make sure all holes are filled around the house keeping rodents out. Check on how often the trash service comes. Large amounts of trash in the house or close to the outside of the house attract bugs and rodents.

If the house is not clean it doesn't matter if you use bug killer. The bugs will tend to eat the food scraps and kitchen grease behind the stove and on the walls before the poison. You have to clean so that only the poison is left to consume by the bugs.

Bug bombs do not do anything for an infestation in the walls. That is for minor issues only.