How to finance a rental ? "primary residence" rule enforced?

How to finance a rental ? "primary residence" rule enforced?

Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 15 votes

Situation: All of my assets are now liquid. Currently renting myself. Looking to buy a primary residence and 1-2 income properties.

 Because rates are so low, I would like to conventionally finance (20% down) a rental property, because this is the opportunity that has presented itself first. 

If I declare investment as such my rate  is 4.5%

If I declare the investment as a primary residence my rate is 3.8%. Obviously, I'd like the lower rate. 

Question:

What if I just take out a primary residence loan for a rental? Is this rule enforced? Will it become a problem if I try to take out another loan for my real primary residence?

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
10y

Yes it is enforced, you'll have at least two loan reviews after you make the loan, review means audit. What you're suggesting is mortgage fraud!

After a year of occupancy you can rent, if you can show good reason, like the loss of a job, you may obtain an exception. 

Messing with banks and mortgage fraud can be orange jump suit time! :)   

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Yes it is enforced, you'll have at least two loan reviews after you make the loan, review means audit. What you're suggesting is mortgage fraud!

    After a year of occupancy you can rent, if you can show good reason, like the loss of a job, you may obtain an exception. 

    Messing with banks and mortgage fraud can be orange jump suit time! :)   

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    You may want to own and live in the property at least a year first before applying for another mortgage.  It is tricky to obtain multiple FHA loans unless you are moving for your job or getting a bigger house. Another option is to buy a 2-4 unit building.

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Thanks. So I'll conclude that the only real option at this point is primary residence first, wait a year, then rental property (at a much higher rate) later. 

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Devan Johnson:

    Thanks. So I'll conclude that the only real option at this point is primary residence first, wait a year, then rental property (at a much higher rate) later. 

    That's the game rules.

    If you have a good duplex market, try that, rent the other side. You can do 1-4 units, problem is the appraisal finding comps of a 4 plex that is similar and meets appraisal requirements, that can be hard to do. Good luck :) 

  • Haymarket, VA · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Why wouldn't you buy your primary now then rent that in a year and buy the next one as your primary?
  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Thanks Bill. Duplex market is not great here unfortunately. 

    I guess as I think this through it doesn't matter when I purchase a rental (as long as it is declared an investment) as long as I have an adequate income to debt ratio. And if I put 25% down my rate goes to 4.25. So still worth pursing I think. 

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Hark...I would buy my primary first, but that's not the opportunity that's presenting itself right now. 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Devan Johnson, you can get a residential loan for properties up to 4 units. FHA loans can be used on these properties, as well. You live in one and rent out the other 3. FHA can be obtained for as little as 3.5% down , although some sort of mortgage insurance would factor in.

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    10y
  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    10y

    @Devan Johnson You could lie about the first property, but you will be signing documents related to this being a primary residence at closing, so it is technically fraud.

    The real problem I see is that you can not have two (2) mortgages that you claim are your primary residence. So if you buy your first property that is really an investment house, when you do find your actual primary residence, that will likely get hit with the higher rate.

    I would be straight with the banks, and shop around if you don't like the rates. But based on what I am seeing, they sound right. 75% LTV is the max I can find on multifamily (2-4units), but I believe you can get 80% LTV on SFH.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.