Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Richard Brown
  • Seaview, WA
Votes |
Accused of drug activity because of perceived number of visitors.

Richard Brown
  • Seaview, WA
Posted Nov 4 2017, 00:26

How can a landlord get away with saying you have drug activity simply because you have a few friends who visit?

My landlord approached me earlier today and said to me that she had gotten complaints of "drug activity" because of "heavy traffic."

First of all, I do not do drugs. I do not even drink alcohol. I do not associate with people who do drugs, and I do not tolerate those who do. 

Second, I can literally count the number of "friends" who visit me at my home on my fingers. Out of these people, there are perhaps 2 or 3 who actually visit with any regularity. The remaining friends visit regularly, but not necessarily every day.

Now I will admit that the people I know are not necessarily the sharpest dressers in the neighborhood. In fact, some of them can occasionally be downright shabby. And only one or two of them even own a car. Why? Because most of the people I know are not that secure financially. Why is that? None of anyone's damned business. But if they must know, I happen to do a bit of advocacy work here and there for low income people with disabilities, sometimes these people become friends.

I'm not concerned with being evicted or anything like that because of the landlords comment but I am curious to know exactly how these people can get away with saying such things simply because I have some friends who stop by, hang out, laugh, joke, leave, stay, use the phone, take a nap, or whatever the ^^^^ they want to do as guests in my home at that moment.

I'd really like to know what the litmus test is for guests becoming "drug traffic." And what I can do to make it clear that her comments are offensive, inaccurate, and they will not be tolerated.

Thank you to all who are willing and able to assist me in figuring this out. I look forward to your replies.

Loading replies...