Inherited Tenants fill out move-in inspection?

5 Replies

Hello BP,

When inheriting tenants, do you do an entire "move-in type inspection" with them when first taking over the property? 

Thank you,

Jordan

I’m not sure if it will help you anyway when they move out ? 

Yes. I tell them “this is your starting point any damage from here is your responsibility” I have had tenants paint a room and other issues after that inspections I had a record that the they indeed did the painting

The tenants that were occupying the 4-plex I bought in 2014 were on rental agreements that had been pulled out of a cracker jack box.     They managed to specify the rent amount, deposit, and MtM terms but that was about it.  Among many other problems there was no condition inspection.   In WA I don't think you can take or hold a deposit without it.   In any case gave everybody 30 days notice that I was amending the agreement and asking everybody to sign new month-to-month agreements including condition inspections using the local rental association's forms.   I made it clear I wasn't raising rent (at that time) or re-screening anybody, and any pre-existing condition or damage problems as of the point they signed the new agreement would not be held against them.

Out of 3 occupants (4th unit was vacant at that point) 2 were happy to sign because they knew how terrible the current agreements were.   The 3rd who was a personal friend of the prior owners grumbled about it a bit but eventually came around when he saw me starting to fix all the stuff the prior owners ignored.

I inherited a tenant and did perform an inspection with her to have a baseline moving forward. There were a few existing holes in the walls and doors that I took note of and told her that anything above and beyond what we note on the inspection will be her responsibility and that I would not be fixing the existing cosmetic issues anytime soon.

I agree with @Rebecca Panosso . You have to work with what you've got. Whether the law requires it or not, you should document the condition of the property the day you take possession. That protects you from that point forward.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here