Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sam K.
  • Wantagh, NY
Votes |
Tenant Abusing Washer / Dryer

Sam K.
  • Wantagh, NY
Posted Jan 7 2018, 09:15

I live in a multifamily home where I rent out the second floor to a tenant. The unit has its own washer/dryer and the utilities are on a shared meter for the whole house. The tenant lives by himself but has his kids over occasionally for the weekend. 

My problem is that the tenant seems to be abusing the washer/dryer. He recently started working from home, and it seems like the washer/dryer runs nonstop during waking hours. He is doing at least 10 loads of laundry every single week, which to me seems insane for a single person living by himself. (Also, it isn't just that he's working through a backlog of clothes or something like that, this high usage has been going on for months and months) I believe he has some form of cleanliness OCD, both because of this and because when he moved in initially he made many other requests for things to have extra cleaning, additional painting, or to be replaced. 

The utilities bills have been around 30% higher than they were for the prior tenants (which was a couple with a child), but I'm even more concerned about all the additional wear and tear he's putting on the machines. I feel like its only a matter of if, not when, that he breaks down the machines and expects me to replace both of them.

The lease stipulates "reasonable" usage of utilities. But I'd rather not get into a he said/she said argument about how many loads of laundry he's doing and whether that is considered reasonable or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle this? I was considering looking at getting a payment system for the washer/dryer like you would have in an apartment complex or laundromat. Does anyone have experience with those and how much they cost to install/maintain?

Thanks.

Loading replies...