Adding 2nd bathrooms in gut rehab

4 Replies

Hey everyone, first post here, hoping someone could offer some advice. As the title explains, i'm considering doing a gut rehab on 2-unit which will have the basement converted into a third unit.

I want to add a 2nd bathroom to the existing units to make the master en-suite, the problem i have is the layout and size of the area i have to work with. Ideally i'd place the second bathroom back-to-back with the existing one to run stacks and plumbing all down one section. But if i were to do this it leaves the bedroom area in a very rectangular shape, roughly 20x8. Now if i were to run the bathroom on the other side of the building it would leave the bedroom roughly 12x12, obviously a much better shape and layout.

The question i have is how much extra would i be looking at having to spend on plumbing with the two bathrooms not being back-to-back. Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Neil

Hi, Welcome to BP @Neil Byrne  isn't that something your contractor would be able to price out for you? There are a lot of factors that go into estimating a cost of adding a new bathroom. You're looking at new water supply lines, new drain lines, electrical, etc. Based on my experience. I would venture to guess you're looking at approximately 8-10K. 

I do agree with you that an 8x20 bedroom would look very unusual. 

Thanks for the reply Roman. I have numbers in mind from experience in adding second bathrooms in the past but they have been back-to-back, so new water lines, electrical, etc, i have priced in, but i'm wondering, roughly, will there be much added cost in the plumbing if the bathrooms were not back-to-back

From the couple that I have done in my past as far as the plumbing itself, your major costs are going to be the choice of materials (personally I would go with pex for any long run of the water supply) and then really all that's left is tapping into the sewer drain. Especially if you already have an idea of the other costs I.e electrical, fixtures ECt... If you are doing it yourself the added costs will be no more than $500-$1000 for the run supplies to tie into your other pipes. Then all that's left is to run the stacks up and out. IMO of course. Good luck either way. P.s. I have a bedroom that was previously a garage that has a closet in it in my rental with the 8x14 measurements and while I personally wouldn't want it for my house, they love it...so I'm sure either route you take is gonna be just fine. Consider the area and how much u want to put into this project and go from there ;-)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.