'Sagging addition' according to inspection

4 Replies

I just got an inspection report back about a property I am looking at and the big thing that jumped out was the 'sagging addition' due to insufficient foundation support.  The addition is an overhang on the 2nd floor.  The owner states there are brand new 6x6s and the original construction was only 10yrs ago.  Has anyone tried to repair this before and if so how bad was it?

Not enough info here to begin to answer the question. 

How far is the sag over what length? 

What type of support is there?

What type of support would be there if Mike Holmes did it? 

Is there an easy way to get it to an adequate middle ground? 

You said 2x6's, I need more info. Plenty of situations that are fine with 2x6's.  Plenty of situations that require 2x12's. 

A picture here would really help.

It's worth having a licensed engineer review the situation.  It could be a simple as jacking up the overhang with some temporary shoring and bottle jacks to replace the 6x6s or it could be as complicated as an under-designed foundation or soils issue.

@Sean Ploskina   Here is a general rule of thumb that I have found helpful. For every inch of depth you get one foot of span. So 2x6 would allow for a span of 6 ft at normal 16" spacing for normal loading. If you have cantilever situation it's half that. So 2x6 can cantilever out 3 ft. Will it stand with less. In some cases yes but not recommended. In other cases 2x6 at 6 ft span can be inadequate. Only an engineer who performs the calculations on the situation can tell you for sure. 

BTW if this guy built this addition without a permit that is a huge red flag.  Sounds like this guy fancied himself a contractor without real knowledge of construction. The response should have been the work was done according to building code and inspected for compliance. The response sounds like, trust me, I did it right.

Repair of inadequate structural requires a design. I have come behind these situations and it's not fun. You can bet if they messed this up, everything they touched is crap (think electrical and plumbing too). I have found it to be very expensive to redo what was done wrong. Get a design and then get bids to know what it will cost. That is the only way.

Know too that when you open things up, there will be no end to the ignorance of the builder so have a huge contingency on top of your bids.

Originally posted by @Sean Ploskina :

I just got an inspection report back about a property I am looking at and the big thing that jumped out was the 'sagging addition' due to insufficient foundation support.  

Sounds like the addition may be sound, but the supporting foundation is not of adequate depth to support the load. Concrete that is to support a load will have a footer or beam that extends down into the earth up to a few feet. If the addition support structure is resting on concrete that is only a few inches thick, such as a simple 4" thick patio, sagging and cracking will occur. This is a pretty common scenario, people see concrete and think it will support a load.  

If this is the case, the structure needs to be temporarily supported, the primary supports removed, the failing concrete excavated and a proper footing poured to support the load. Costs will vary by region and by the size of the addition, but this shouldn't be more than a 2-3 day job for a competent contractor.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide