No Lintels above the windows, any advice

2 Replies

Good afternoon all,

I have been looking at a potential rental and on further inspection of the property there are no lintels above the windows in the home.  This has resulted in a few cracks in the brickwork above them, the home is about 30 years old, how expensive is this issue to resolve, there are about 7 double windows and 3 single windows.  It is a single story ranch home.  

I know that it depends on contractors, but just wondering if anyone had dealt with this and would you do it again?

Thanks in advance

Andy

I can't tell you the cost. You basically need to remove the triangular area of brick that should have been supported by the lintle above the window . Remove the mortar off the bricks install lintles and reinstall the brick.

You need to be careful withe the demolition not to damage the bricks so you can reuse them otherwise you have to find matching brick.

I would call some brick masons to come give you quotes.

Are you sure there are no lintels? Sometimes people think of a lintel as a large concrete block above the window, but sometimes it can be smaller piece of angle metal that's hidden. It's not uncommon to have some cracking in mortar around windows and doors. If there really is no lintels and the windows are supporting the brick alone I would be surprised that the brick didn't break the windows over 30 years, or at least be more damaged then some cracking.
It may be best to have a professional give you their opinion first if you're unsure.
Unless you can 100% tell there are no lintels, I would make the assumption that the builder who built the house put lintels in and look for additional reasons why they could be cracking. For example how the ground is sloped and where water is running. The house could just be shifting and settling over time. I have also seen where ice can dam up a valley in a roof causing water to go under shingles and get inside a brick wall. The brick and mortar aren't water proof so they absorb moisture. That moisture expands and contracts over time damaging the brick.
You could be completely right and there are no lintels. Just wanted to give you some different ideas on how to look at the situation. I wish you luck and hope the deal works out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.