Grungy Counter Tops

5 Replies

Hi All,

Finally settled on my first investment property. Ready to get my hands dirty and get this place rental ready (hopefully by Nov 1). One issue I have is some grungy counter tops. Trying to keep costs as low as possible so I'm wondering if there's any way to clean these up without replacement. I'm thinking probably not but figured I'd ask on here.

Thanks

Joe 

Hard to tell what material this is?? maybe a laminate? need better pics because t almost looks like water stained ceiling tiles

if this is grease and not surface burn, i would take some heavy duty degreaser to it and in the end to finished, mr magic eraser.

+ some elbow grease (make sure you don't scratch it)

There is an alternative to replacing those countertops. Firstly clean them REALLY well. Get some heavy duty De-greaser and scrub scrub scrub.

Next I would go check out a rustoleum countertop kit at Lowes. It's $250 and completely refinishes your countertop and makes it look new. If that's too much, then I guess you will have to do with what you have, but kitchens are VERY important so I personally wouldn't want to save too much on something that important.

Also, it won't hurt to look into new laminate counters. They are not THAT expensive. Again, can't hurt to get a quote.

That laminate appears to be cracked at the miter and that pattern is very dated. (1970's)

Probably for a couple hundred dollars and some elbow grease, you could put in new laminate counters and add some snap to the place. It would be a good improvement. Home Depot and Lowes stocks what you would need, cut it to length yourself and put some edges on it as required. A new, deep Stainless sink and new faucet could give the whole kitchen a fresh look. (maybe the sink and faucet are fine?)

What I do is look at something squinty eyed and say to my self, "Self, do you want this in your house?" If the answer is "not really" I may let it slide, but if the answer is "no way, no how" then resolve it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.