Flooring in living room vs bedroom?

5 Replies

BP!

I'm under contract on my first property - a 2/1 condo in Atlanta. The flooring in the living room appears to be either laminate or vinyl. I want to match it in the bedroom (current bedrooms have horrible, old carpet), but am unsure I will be able to find the same flooring! 

Should I just try to get as close as possible or should I go a different vinyl plank look in the bedrooms? I don't want to use carpet due to the replacement and cleaning I will inevitably have to do.

Any advice?

I'm into carpet for the bedrooms and vinyl plank for the living room and high traffic areas from the front door. Just thinking many tenants would like the feel of carpet under their feet when getting out of bed in the morning than hard floors.

I personally like carpet in the bedrooms but many people don't.  That flooring looks to be very common, as I am almost positive I have seen it before, you might take a road trip to Home depot and bring a bunch of their flooring samples back to the property and see if they match.  (You may also be able to do this on Amazon but I'm not 100% sure on that one)

Most association will not tolerate non-carpeting. Assuming you will not get written up Vinyl Plank is fine. Suggest better underlayer using acoustical and moisture materials.

While Vinyl is very tough and affordable, people will catch on that they used recycled vinyl (car interior) and limestone. I suggest 13 mm or even 25 mm thick materials planks. Dust will show if the color is too dark. 

I also suggest floating type, some adhesives used smell like natural gas leaking. I suspect Feds will outlaw the manufacturer eventually.  This outgass chemicals can cause headache, vomiting taking forever to get rid of it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you