Removing Cat Urine - Help!

1 Reply

My husband and I have the opportunity to purchase a double wide at a decently cheap price and fix it up to flip. The problem is the whole home has an extremely strong cat urine odor. I’m wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this before. If so, is it a simple fix? How long does it take to completely remove the smell? Based on how bad the home smells, I’m going to assume the urine has been set in for quite some time. The home has carpet and vinyl flooring both. The walls are paneling. Any information would be greatly helpful.

Cat urine is difficult to get rid of and it depends on the severity. I've managed to clean some homes and get rid of it. Others have been impossible.

Cat urine soaks into the pad and carpet cleaning may not be enough. You sometimes have to remove the pad, as well.

If the urine soaks into the subfloor, you may have to paint the subfloor with an oil-based Kilz or other primer that can seal in the odor. Then put new pad and carpet.

If the urine is on the walls, you have to wash them down with a vinegar or odor-neutralizer, preferably one designed specifically for cat urine.

If there is urine on the walls, keep in mind it can drip behind the baseboards so you may need to pull those off.

I would start with a black light and see if you can narrow down the damaged area or if it's the entire home that requires treatment.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you