Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alejandro Garcia
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Permits for Remodels in Los Angeles

Alejandro Garcia
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 1 2020, 06:35

Hi I just closed on my first deal, a duplex in South Los Angeles, and excited to get started renovating it but some of the things I have in mind might require permits so I was wondering if anyone had experience with the process and could provide some guidance.

More about the property, the front unit is a 3 bed 2 bath bungalow style house built in 1925 so the layout is outdated. One of the bathrooms is a jack and jill bathroom which I want to change. Close the current doors and open a new one from the living room into the bathroom instead of the entrances coming from the bedrooms. I also want to open up the wall between the kitchen and living room which is a load bearing wall and is my largest concern for permits and time for the job.

The back house is a similiar issue but is a 1 bed 1 bath with an extra room (no closet so not considered a room). Same thing with the jack and jill bathroom and kitchen wall. I want to add a closet to the extra room so I can rent it as a 2 bedroom but it is already small so plan was to take up some of the kitchen space to build a closet and then just add a door in between.

I assume the load bearing wall projects will require permits but I am not sure about the bathroom remodels or the closet. Does anyone have experience with such jobs, specifically getting permits in the Los Angeles area? 

P.S. I plan on doing most if not all myself with the help of my father who is very skilled. He has done such jobs but he never had to do permitting. 

Loading replies...