Cost of replacing furnace and air conditioner in central Indiana?

8 Replies

I got a quote of $5500 for installing a 80% efficient American standard gas furnace, a 13 seer 3 ton air conditioner and a digital thermostat. Wondering if this is a fair price. Thanks.

@Aaron Xie just replacing the unit? Do you have to add new ducts or any other rework?

Seems high for just a swap and new thermostat 

Aaron If that is CDN dollars it is probably a fair price; but definitely look at a heat pump as an alternative.

I don't remember the AC specs, but we had a 95% Rheem furnace and AC/Heat Pump  and thermostat installed for around $6000 total.  Furnace was $2500, Heat pump was $3500

Thanks guys for your information. It is US dollars. What’s the price difference between 80% and 95% furnace? I assume that AC is the same thing as heat bump?

I don't think there is a huge price difference between 80% efficient and 95% furnaces, but I don't know for sure.  

A heat pump is part of the AC unit.  It uses ambient temperature to sort of "reverse" the cooling process to produce heat.  So it will run in place of the furnace until the ambient outdoor temperature is around 28-30 degrees.  It is actually around 200%-300% efficient because it is getting the energy from the air.  Will cause you to use more electricity, but less LP or NG.  And I believe on a per unit basis, electricity is cheaper.

And it is replacement of the old units. No duct work needed.

there is not a huge difference in unit cost between 80% and high efficiecy. The additional cost is for installation. HE need a different flue so there is additional cost. $5500 is normal if you are calling a contractor. I have paid as low as $2000 but i did some of the furnace work and had a contractor do the ac. The units are approximately $1500 for Goodman brand which is a decent brand. 

Aaron, 

My guys install an 80% furnace for $1500. 2 ton a/c units for $2k. But if the coil has to be replaced, the cost goes up.  I think the quote you got was extremely high! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here