????? PRICING A ROOF .........We need your help.

10 Replies

I am looking for a roofing contractor in Hartford, CT. I need to replace a flat roof (currently tar and gravel) on a 7000 Sq ft building.

The entire roof needs replacement including rafters. The existing roof was damaged in a fire. Before pulling the trigger, I need to know the round about cost of the new roof.

I am awaiting other estimates, but was baffled when I received 1 quote to the tune of 60 K. BP family please let me know if this estimate sounds way off.

Thanking you in advance. 

Is the 7000 sq ft on one level? If so, that may not be that far off as you have to replace the rafters.  Call another company for a quote.  the nice thing is you can replace it with a roof with a slight slope to help avoid water pooling.

That doesn't sound off at all. Moving tar and gravel sucks, the haul away costs are crazy high and then you get into the cost of rebuilding and finally the new roof. I would charge more than that because of how much of a headache that is going to be. Also remember that cheaper isn't always better, ask for pictures and references for a tar and gravel removal job of that size and multiple flat roof references. Everyone thinks they can do them and it turns out that everyone can screw them up and a small fraction can actually do them. 

@ Bryan Devitt, I really appreciate the sound advice. Asking for pictures for a tar and gravel removal job is something I didn't think about. You are absolutely right about screwing up. I've had bad experiences with so- called roofers in the past and do not want such an experience with a roof of this magnitude. 

@ David Barrett. I do not know the dimensions of the building. I definitely will ask for pictures and references of past work if I decide to pursue this deal. The rehab cost is the determining factor. Also I failed to mention that the property is a historical building. We must go thru the historical preservation office and follow their guidelines for completion of work.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you