My First Rental Purchase

1 Reply

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Abilene.

Purchase price: $53,500

This was my first investment property. I initially bought this with the idea of living in one side of the duplex, while renting out the other. However, I quickly came to the realization, with the fact that I was getting married soon, that I didn't want to start my family in that home. So I rented out both sides and bought a SFH in a nice area.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I found that I do not handle owning a small property like that, from a distance. Being in the military when I purchased the property, I was beholden to where the military told me to go. I was sent to Germany and turned this property over to a property management company. They didn't take very good care of it, I had more and more turnover, and more and more time between tenants. Eventually, I lost the property in foreclosure. This was a hard lesson to learn.

Thanks for sharing! Definitely a lot to consider when selecting property types and whether or not to manage your own properties.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here