Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey M Rauen
Votes |
SFH Rental in Orlando, FL

Jeffrey M Rauen
Posted

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Orlando.

Purchase price: $298,000
Cash invested: $29,000

Initially bought as a primary residence. After a while I started renting out spare bedrooms once I learned about the power of real estate investing, and eventually moved out to get it fully booked. Renting each room out individually definitely opens the door to more cash flow, but is not without it's issues!!! I've learned a lot about tenant screening and plan to hold this for a while, since it proves to achieve good cash flow with this model. Proximity to Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld help a lot with minimizing vacancy.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Initially purchased as a primary residence, but when I decided to downsize to minimize my liabilities I realized I could keep this property and cash flow it with the right business plan.

How did you finance this deal?

I bought this property with a 0% down VA loan. When I get to the 80% LTV mark, I plan to look at refinancing to a conventional loan and freeing up my limited VA loan limits to leverage the power of it in the future with house hacking or live in (long term) flipping.

How did you add value to the deal?

I found a few ways to upgrade the look and feel of this place on basically a shoe string budget when I was just getting started. I covered the cheap counters with contact paper to look like high end marble (~$100), framed the mirrors with trim (~$10 per mirror), upgraded old carpet to vinyl plank (

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Tenant screening is key if you're going to have multiple people living together. More than that, though, is the advertising plan. Fair housing laws aren't something that I want to mess with, and after a day of having a post on facebook marketplace I took it down and was REALLY glad no one could make the required deposit. I became very selective about my marketing plan, and offered a rooom for a very competitive price. So far, it's worked out really well for me. However, only time will tell....

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Kevin Boudreaux - Best broker ever. Seriously, trust me.

Loading replies...