BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat

User Stats

Votes
Noelle Stecher
Votes |
Looking to Invest in a rental in Waco

Noelle Stecher
Posted Jan 16 2023, 13:22

Hi.  I am looking to buy a rental property in Waco, but I am not too familiar with the area.  I have done the neighborhood research online and have a general sense of the neighborhoods, but I am looking for any advice from people who know the area or who have investment properties there.  What areas are good?  What areas to stay away from? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jan 16 2023, 14:07

@Noelle Stecher thanks for posting.  If you don't mind me asking...why Waco?  Do you live there?  If not, where do you live?  And why aren't we investing there?

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Noelle Stecher
Votes |
Replied Jan 16 2023, 14:27

I live in Houston and the market here is way too expensive for me to have good cashflow, so I am looking at other options. I’ve seen many good things about Waco and the population growth there. But, I am definitely open to other suggestions. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Allen
Pro Member
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Temple, TX
Replied Jan 16 2023, 15:07
Quote from @Noelle Stecher:

I live in Houston and the market here is way too expensive for me to have good cashflow, so I am looking at other options. I’ve seen many good things about Waco and the population growth there. But, I am definitely open to other suggestions. 

I am not that familiar with Waco (other than driving through it routinely) but I know just like any city, there are some really nice areas and plenty of "not so nice" areas. I have recently started looking into the STR market there and know that it does have a strong STR prospect.

I am in Temple areas (Killeen/Belton/Temple) about 45 min south of Waco on I35. This might be an area you consider as well! Temple: Major Medical (only Level I trauma center between Austin and Dallas and VA hospital), FB/META is building a data center here, Belton has private 4 yr university, and Killeen has Ft. Hood. Good population growth in the area

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 16 2023, 20:10

@Noelle Stecher if you live in Houston and are considering Waco, I highly recommend taking a weekend trip up to the town before making a decision. I grew up in Waco and there is a lot of potential there, but also many C/D class neighborhoods that will look like good cash flow on paper but I wouldn’t touch. Get to know the area and drive around with an investor-friendly agent or fellow investor.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jan 16 2023, 20:15

@Noelle Stecher I would highly recommend re-evaluating the Houston area. Not only are there tons of properties that are sub $300k but then they are local to you.  That means you can interact with your contractors and partners.  You can vet them easier.  You can meet with them and meet with other investors in your market and find out what's working. When investing out of your area, something I have done for 15+ years, it's really hard to manage your properties.  You may never even see your properties.  That's an enormous amount of trust to put into vendors.  Now if you said you knew property managers, realtors, etc. in that market I would feel significantly better about it.  I mean, you can do what you want...but I would suggest examining it again.  The few % points better than another city could offer might be completely eradicated by someone who's not watching out for your property.

Hope all of that makes sense.

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 16 2023, 20:19

The reason Houston is hard is like any other TX city--property taxes are atrociously high. I've found some solid deals in Houston but they all need work. Fixer up or all cash plays. I don't think basic leveraged plays into something intrinsic will show up in any city, let alone one's with a growing population. I've looked at areas like Katy, Acres Homes, Hardy Yards. There's stuff that can be done, just takes a lot more work.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 16 2023, 21:16

I like the campus area. Always rents and not as hood. 

User Stats

Votes
Noelle Stecher
Votes |
Replied Jan 17 2023, 05:15
Quote from @Ryan Kelly:

@Noelle Stecher if you live in Houston and are considering Waco, I highly recommend taking a weekend trip up to the town before making a decision. I grew up in Waco and there is a lot of potential there, but also many C/D class neighborhoods that will look like good cash flow on paper but I wouldn’t touch. Get to know the area and drive around with an investor-friendly agent or fellow investor.

Thank you for the info!  Can you give some specifics on which neighborhoods you wouldn't touch?

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jan 17 2023, 14:11

Hey Nicole! I agree with you that your odds of cash flowing are much better in Waco than Houston - curious if you are intending to rent this one out as a long term or short-term rental?

User Stats

Votes
Noelle Stecher
Votes |
Replied Jan 17 2023, 14:24

Looking for long term rentals, but also considering Temple, Texas too.

User Stats

Votes
Trevor Caswell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Waco, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Waco, TX
Replied Jan 24 2023, 10:08

Hi.  I am looking to buy a rental property in Waco, but I am not too familiar with the area.  I have done the neighborhood research online and have a general sense of the neighborhoods, but I am looking for any advice from people who know the area or who have investment properties there.  What areas are good?  What areas to stay away from? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

I would focus on School districts and established neighborhoods for your search. You will find many charming 1920-1960's homes here in Waco, but your tenants may not be comfortable with the area. 

School Districts:
Midway ISD
China Spring ISD
Bosqueville ISD
Robinson ISD
Lorena ISD

Waco Neighborhoods:
Dean Highland
Landon Branch 
Castle Heights 
Brookview
Sanger Heights 
Fishpond 
Viking Hills

The issue you'll run into is the cashflow on these turnkey rentals. You won't be able to get the rent much higher than $1600-1800 on a 3BR 2BA in most Waco neighborhoods. This is why you may want to look at Hewitt and Midway ISD area, due to desirability from families moving into the area. 

Baylor bubble is very hard to break into and oversaturated with landlords with heavy pockets. I would stay away from there unless you have a child going to school there. 

User Stats

Votes
Noelle Stecher
Votes |
Replied Jan 24 2023, 10:17
Quote from @Trevor Caswell:

I would focus on School districts and established neighborhoods for your search. You will find many charming 1920-1960's homes here in Waco, but your tenants may not be comfortable with the area. 

School Districts:
Midway ISD
China Spring ISD
Bosqueville ISD
Robinson ISD
Lorena ISD

Waco Neighborhoods:
Dean Highland
Landon Branch 
Castle Heights 
Brookview
Sanger Heights 
Fishpond 
Viking Hills

The issue you'll run into is the cashflow on these turnkey rentals. You won't be able to get the rent much higher than $1600-1800 on a 3BR 2BA in most Waco neighborhoods. This is why you may want to look at Hewitt and Midway ISD area, due to desirability from families moving into the area. 

Baylor bubble is very hard to break into and oversaturated with landlords with heavy pockets. I would stay away from there unless you have a child going to school there. 

Thank you so much for the info!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
James Enyeart
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 24 2023, 14:51

I second the idea of looking in the greater Temple area as an option.  I live In Austin, and the market in the Temple/Belton area is not as hot as Austin, but certainly heating up.  There is simply a different sort of potential buyer in the area now with Musk's Rocket Factory in McGregor (waco is getting this benefit too) and some high tech from Austin overflowing slowly but surely into the Temple area there is still affordable opportunity.  

IF you are gonna look at Waco, you need to check out the Belton area.  Better schools than Temple.  Waco has already sort of been Magnolia-ized IMHO with price inflation and Dallas Money coming down to play.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 6 2023, 20:19

I'm a big fan of Temple and have several rentals in the area. I have clients purchasing there as well. I also agree the Belton ISD schools are a notch above Temple, but that wouldn't hold me back from anything in Temple ISD.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 7 2023, 21:50

I live in Waco and have been here for 3 years. Very hard to get into the STR market with STR regulations that were changed a few years ago. Most of them are in C/D neighborhoods (anywhere near downtown). I have an LTR right now (4bd/3bth) and it is cash flowing decently. My biggest criteria was looking for homes in good school districts (ie Lorena ISD, Robinson ISD, Midway ISD, China Spring ISD). I would recommend homes in those school districts.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Cyr
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Feb 22 2023, 13:28

@Noelle Stecher Have you crunched the numbers on STR at Crystal Beach? I know the property taxes add a huge burden to the expense column but asking prices should be coming down so if you are an agent in that market already, you should have a fast track to any motivated sellers listing their beach houses.

User Stats

Votes
Deniece Frideley
  • New to Real Estate
  • Texas
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Texas
Replied Feb 26 2023, 06:43

Hi Noelle,

Did you decide to invest in Waco? 
I live near Waco and have been considering it as well. I’d love to connect and perhaps compare some options or talk them out. 
——Deniece——

User Stats

Votes
Brown Malo
  • Waco, TX
Votes |
  • Waco, TX
Replied Mar 3 2023, 13:11

Try to get near Baylor Campus for Waco.  There are some duplexes right now that have great potential.  Message me and I'll send you the link.

User Stats

Votes
Noelle Stecher
Votes |
Replied Mar 3 2023, 14:20

I actually thought I found a deal in Houston, but it fell through so back to the drawing board.

User Stats

Votes
Jessie Reid
  • Realtor
  • Waco, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Waco, TX
Replied Mar 15 2023, 03:31

Hey Noelle! My husband and I have flipped, held long term and now short term as well in Waco. Very familiar with the town and opportunity and happy to share, show you around or answer any questions you have. I echo what everyone else says - you really need to put eyes on properties (and streets!) or work with someone that knows this town and about investing here. The market is getting tighter and there is less margin than there was, but there is still potential. Taxes and insurance costs sky rocketed this past 6-12 months here and it really has changed things. Also, a huge crack down on STR regulations has shifted zone desirability and value. But if you are able to get into that (hugely inflated barrier to entry on those properties) the cash flow can be incredible! Waco has options, just depends on what you're looking to do.

User Stats

Votes
Pete Harper
  • Streetman, TX
Votes |
  • Streetman, TX
Replied Mar 15 2023, 21:02

School Districts:
Midway ISD
China Spring ISD
Bosqueville ISD
Robinson ISD
Lorena ISD

Waco Neighborhoods:
Dean Highland
Landon Branch 
Castle Heights 
Brookview
Sanger Heights 
Fishpond 
Viking Hills

I agree the Baylor Bubble is tough.  We looked at several properties there.  Close in the prices are inflated.  Nothing would cash flow at the current asking price.  We looked at a 4-plex and it was heavily subsidized by two families that had kids going to Baylor.  The last kid was going to graduate and they were looking to exit.  Another property a few blocks out had a vacancy problem.  I spoke with a local PM and was told if you don't rent by Fall semester it will sit open all year.  Very little cross over from the non-student market.  

User Stats

Votes
Noelle Stecher
Votes |
Replied Mar 16 2023, 06:28
Quote from @Pete Harper:

School Districts:
Midway ISD
China Spring ISD
Bosqueville ISD
Robinson ISD
Lorena ISD

Waco Neighborhoods:
Dean Highland
Landon Branch 
Castle Heights 
Brookview
Sanger Heights 
Fishpond 
Viking Hills

I agree the Baylor Bubble is tough.  We looked at several properties there.  Close in the prices are inflated.  Nothing would cash flow at the current asking price.  We looked at a 4-plex and it was heavily subsidized by two families that had kids going to Baylor.  The last kid was going to graduate and they were looking to exit.  Another property a few blocks out had a vacancy problem.  I spoke with a local PM and was told if you don't rent by Fall semester it will sit open all year.  Very little cross over from the non-student market.  
Thank you for the wonderful insight!
FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Jessie Reid
  • Realtor
  • Waco, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Waco, TX
Replied Mar 16 2023, 07:01
Quote from @Pete Harper:

School Districts:
Midway ISD
China Spring ISD
Bosqueville ISD
Robinson ISD
Lorena ISD

Waco Neighborhoods:
Dean Highland
Landon Branch 
Castle Heights 
Brookview
Sanger Heights 
Fishpond 
Viking Hills

Nearly all students lock in their leases in JANUARY for August start date. Also, the demand for student housing will so a slow down this year. They are always increasing their student population but the University closed a few huge dorm buildings and renovated them this past couple years. They're all opening back up next school year so all Freshman will be on campus. The housing that popped up the past few years and hugely inflated prices of rentals in that area will see a dip from the lack of demand. Although it's really a cool investment scene, something to probably avoid for a minute.