Skip to content
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat

User Stats

Votes

Is this an insanely good deal or am I missing something

Posted May 9 2023, 21:12

Recently starting looking for deals. I found this deal:

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Detr...

4 bed 2 bath for $30k. Locality looks good. Anything I'm missing?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 10 2023, 04:07

@Shankar Kantharaj

Have you seen the inside? Do you know the neighborhood? It if was an investor special and went from $60k to $30k I would be very suspicious.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Gale
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied May 10 2023, 05:27

Been on market for 162 days and price cut over 50% with 1 month on market since price cut and no interior photos.

Almost certainly unlivable with non functioning utilities.

Don't mean to come off as an a-hole but if you couldn't see the issues with this listing, or were about to jump on it before even seeing the inside then you have a lot to learn before jumping on a deal. Spend more time in the forums, reading, listening to podcasts, etc.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied May 10 2023, 07:20

Just because a house is cheap, doesn't make it a good deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 10 2023, 07:28

What they said^^^^

What's your budget? Assume this is a full-gut remodel.....so maybe a minimum of $150 SF x 2000 SF = $300k for you to get it back to legal/code habitable condition.

Remember you need a CO from the local city to be able to sell or rent this to people. That means you must comply with all applicable codes. And that can get very expensive.

So in answer to your question - how much do you want to spend? The price of the property means nothing. If it were a great deal, it would be gone by now....

User Stats

Votes
Dwayne Ghant
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 10 2023, 07:33

What they said^^^^

No inside pictures, No basement pictures, No surrounding pictures with other homes in it!!  

Pro tip: Feel free to use google maps to walk the neighborhood

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2023, 07:37

Consider due diligence w/township for example, such a if there could be a property line issue (something that happened locally where a long standing garage ended up being 50% on neighbors property... it wasn't pretty. This might be to get rid of a headache, or considered a tear down for reconstruction. 

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Nelis
  • Real Estate Coach
  • NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • NC
Replied May 10 2023, 07:41

Have you seen the inside? Do you live anywhere near the area? It can be easy to forget how local real estate is.  I am aware of people picking up their neighbor's properties for as little as a $900 processing fee with the city. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2023, 10:20

Thanks for all the great replies. I'll spend some time looking into the property neighborhood and get some photos of the property.

User Stats

Votes
Steve K.
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied May 10 2023, 12:41

Cheap is expensive. Location, location, location. Cheap is expensive. Location, location, location. Repeat until committed to memory. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied May 10 2023, 14:58

@Shankar Kantharaj you would lose money of the price was $0

• Real Estate Agent NY (#10401329866)

Irish Jones Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2023, 15:35
Quote from @Shankar Kantharaj:

Thanks for all the great replies. I'll spend some time looking into the property neighborhood and get some photos of the property.

Looking at Google street view was a good idea. I’ve done this countless times. It reveals things their beautiful pics hid. I do this even when I look for out of town non-franchise hotels.

My rule is “If there are no interior pics, there is a reason…next”. They would have taken pics even if it was garbage or holesin the ceiling. My guess is water or fire damage they don’t mention.
if was a good deal, someone would have gotten it. My vote is either check it out in person or 100% skip.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2023, 19:52
Quote from @Shankar Kantharaj:

Recently starting looking for deals. I found this deal:

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Detr...

4 bed 2 bath for $30k. Locality looks good. Anything I'm missing?

Two things you should do:

1. Really really really ask your local handyman/contractor if they are willing to work in that house/neighborhood. Are they okay to leave their expensive equipment in that house ? ?

I ask because I saw the car in front of that house just got robbed.  If your contractor do not want to work there, forget about it.

2. Ask the PMC that's very local to that house, whether it is a good buy or shall avoid at any cost , are they willing to take that property ?