Two websites or one?

3 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I'm a license broker and have my own brokerage firm. I mainly use it to buy and sell my own deals. I would also like to start generating off market leads.

I currently have 1 site that is tied to my local MLS and comes pre designed to be more of a traditional realtor site. Do you think I could use this site to double as my "we buy houses" site? Or create a separate site completely dedicated to producing leads with a more obvious "webuyhouse" web address?

My current site can be found here: www.ericksonrealestateinvestments.com (I also don't know that its the best web address for a lead site).

As you can see I have tried to merge the two, but i'm feeling like it's a bit overwhelming and would be better off with a simpler site for lead generation of off market deals and use this site to sell my properties and create leads for sellers looking to list on the MLS.

Last question, take a look at the investor tab. Is that tab better of on one or the other? Or keep it on both?

Thanks for input, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sam Erickson, Real Estate Agent in WI (#57119-90)

General Comment: Move your available inventory front and center on your homepage. Most folks are going to arrive there with a purpose.

Do you want to keep your businesses separate? If they stay together, you can build the brand from a single source.

Separating the addresses means you need to build awareness for each.

@Aaron Montague thanks for the quick response. Good tip on the listings.

One more point/question to raise. When looking at other "webuyhouses" sites many people seem to make a point to say they aren't a realtor and aren't looking to list the property.

Is this effective in getting people to call or fill out the contact form? Being that my site is also a realtor site will they just automatically assuming i'm trying to get the listing even though I say I'm not?

Sam Erickson, Real Estate Agent in WI (#57119-90)

K.I.S.S. always. If you want people to fill out forms, make them REALLY easy and straight forward.

--------------------

Please call me at 888-876-5432 or fill out this form if you'd like to sell me something:

Name

Address that you'd like to sell

Phone Number

Email

--------------------

I'd stick that on www.ericksonrealestateinvestments.com\buying or a URL similar to that. You need to define what your business does. Doing everything is fine, you just need to make sure you build your Erickson RE brand.

The alternative is to be more of a spam artist, if you go that route, I'd move as far from your home website as you can. IMgoingTObuyYOURhome.biz or something like that. You'd probably want to use a different phone number as well.

Define your brands, and what they do. That will tell you where and how you should build your websites.

Technical Notes:

If you stick with everything at www.ericksonrealestateinvestments.com, make sure you have several redirects for each type of sub directory:

www.ericksonrealestateinvestments.com\buying should be the result of typing:

www.ericksonrealestateinvestments.com\buys
www.ericksonrealestateinvestments.com\buy
www.ericksonrealestateinvestments.com\buyhouse etc

rentals
\rent
\rents
\rental
and so on.

This allows someone that has seen the address, but can't quite remember it to find it using best guesses. Your provider will have all of the wrong entry point data available for you as well. So adjust your lists as you go. Places like google aren't going to ding you for redirects because you aren't actually changing URLs, just landing in the same directory.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you