How to Set up a Bird Dog Campaign

4 Replies

Wholesaling in Western Colorado presents unique challenges.  The distances are big and the towns are small.   To reach my goals I am setting up a bird dog program that will provide me with "boots on the ground in each town" and will take advantage of the unique marketing opportunities found in the ski towns.

Here is my current thinking.  Please comment.

1. Search out bird dogs in each location.

2. Offer $1000 for each lead that ends in a closing.

3. Set up systems to help organize the bird dogs.  For instance, a google form that will gather the info, google drive folders that are shared with individual bird dogs for pictures of the property etc.

4. Set up an educational program to teach the bird dogs how to uncover more deals.

5. Set up a special program for seasonal workers at ski areas.  These are the people that are riding the chair lifts every day and have a captive audience with whom ever they happen to sit next to.  This class would have a unique education program and materials to help get the lead.

6. Track the leads, provide a method for the bird dogs to follow the progress of each lead for accountability.

7. Close deals and make payments to my bird dogs.

BTW - Want to be a bird dog in Western Colorado? Give me a call.

So does anyone have some suggestions for me as I implement this Bird Dog campaign?

So far. I have spoken with 3 of the people in my buyers list that fit the profile of a bird dog.  All three are phyched! I worked with one, and we formed an action plan.  He is on it.  Talked with a potential rent2own buyer.  She is out looking for the property that she wants to aquire.  Anything that dosent fit her she is sending my way for a potential $1000.  I also spoke with another who is interested in doing direct mail campaigns in Grand Junction.  He is thinking about then feeding the hot leads to me.  If they close then he gets $1000.

So far so good.  Need to start working on the systems to keep it all organized.

One more thing.  My tenant handed out business cards while he went skiing and we went over the script after his first day.  He will be more effective tomorrow.  In his mind he is skiing for dollars.  What a deal.

I now have 5 bird dogs and have changed the name to the birder program.  Set up google drive shares for the program and for each individual county.  All my birders get viewing access to the birder drive.  This is where I will put the educational materials.  For now I posted a google doc "Birder Program - Read Me" document.

I have given edit rights for individual birders in specific counties.  Here I will put foreclosure lists and the like.  These are uploaded to google sheets.  I have standarized the sheets so that I can feed them into my content management system.

Have contacted the birders and they seem phyched.  

So far so good.  Help, via comments would be awesome.

Are you still using this program how did it turn out? I'm considering doing the same thing in my area to allow me to not have to knock doors and focus on growing my business. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here