First class vs Standard Mail Yellow Letter

7 Replies

I am working on my goals for 2015 and have decided that 2015 is my year to "go for broke". I have set aside about 30k for marketing by direct mail. 

I am curious the ROI difference on standard vs first class on yellow letters. When I look at yellowletters.com it looks like I would be able to do so many more letters by using standard mail

I can mail 40,250 pieces standard, or 32,400 pieces first class.....about a 7800 piece difference. 

Hey champ! It's Sunday man. Didn't figure you would be working today. 

For the quick answer...

Always use Standard stamps when they are appropriate.. Meaning when you can justify the delay in postal delivery and non return of the mail piece...

Example; a geographical farm which is being canvassed monthly standard stamps are fine. A probate list or NOD, TS or LIs Pendens they aren't.

Here is what most people elect not to do and IMHO they should and that is cancel the stamp yourself..

As Standard stamps don't get cancelled by the USPS and appear slightly different. 

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. 

The other thing that most investors don't do and should is use colored envelopes...

@Michael Quarles, can you elaborate on the cancellation of standard stamps.  I appreciate what you have already mentioned.  I never thought about the return process. guess that should have been a no brainer.

So in what instances of marketing should there be a first class and when should it be standard?

Thank you!

Edward Mitchell III

@Michael Quarles Brilliant idea to cancel the standard stamp. How do you do that? Do you buy an ink stamp and cancel the standard stamp before you mail them? Where can you buy such an ink stamp? Can your company do this?

Thanks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you