Sending a mail/direct mail to a homeowner?

14 Replies

Hi,

Is there anything illegal about sending someone a letter stating you want to purchase there property? For example, if one looks at an empty or non-empty property is it illegal to send that property owner a handwritten letter stating you want to purchase there property?

Thanks 

@Shane Mcc although expect 0.1% to call the cops, the better business buro or some other consumer protection organisation because they feel its a fraud or they feel stalked. Be friendly, remove from mailing list and go on.

Originally posted by @Shane Mcc :

@Marcus Auerbach

Mailing list? I don't have a mailing list. I'm mailing a hand written letter to a individual inquiring about a property. Please advise.

Do yourself a big favor - - drop the idea altogether.  You and your email ID quickly become spammers and get sent directly into the trash, and that can be done without downloading the spam to the computer.

Lists are rarely up to date - - I still see email to an email address I dropped 7 years ago.  Some poor naive advertiser is paying good money for nothing.

@Shane Mcc you can certainly get lucky, but most guys will tell you they have to send out a lot of letters to get consistent results. For me its about 3000 letters for 30 warm leads to buy one house.

Originally posted by NA Beard:
Originally posted by @Shane Mcc:

@Marcus Auerbach

Mailing list? I don't have a mailing list. I'm mailing a hand written letter to a individual inquiring about a property. Please advise.

Do yourself a big favor - - drop the idea altogether.  You and your email ID quickly become spammers and get sent directly into the trash, and that can be done without downloading the spam to the computer.

Lists are rarely up to date - - I still see email to an email address I dropped 7 years ago.  Some poor naive advertiser is paying good money for nothing.

I think Marcus is talking about good ol' snail mail J Beard, not email. 

Shane, if you wanted to send letters or postcards to a geographic area, say every house on the North side of Main St. in your town, you'd buy a list of names and addresses (mailing list) for those particular properties. You can also target by zip code, neighborhood, and pare it down further by weeding out people that have owned for less than X amount of year, etc. It's part of a larger campaign to find many homes to buy, not one specific home. 

There are no issues with sending a letter to a homeowner offering to buy their house. I'd suggest if you're particularly interested in one house, mailing, calling, knocking on the door, knocking on neighbors doors, etc. until you get a firm no from the owner. Even then ask if you can check back with them in a few months. 

Yes- do it. I send out 50-100 letters a month to houses I've personally driven by and decided I wanted to target. My response rate is about 12% and this month will close on 2 from this source. It's time consuming but a good way to find unlisted gems. 

@Stephen Nicholson By given them a epic-wow piece of content that is listed on your website that talks about distress properties, vacate properties and more. Give them solutions to their problems before asking to buy.

Honestly people don't want to sell, but if you come in to help and they help doesn't turn out good in their faveor..guess who they will call when it all fail. 

Yep You...that's called Revers Phycology Marketing 

Originally posted by @Adrien S. :

Yes- do it. I send out 50-100 letters a month to houses I've personally driven by and decided I wanted to target. My response rate is about 12% and this month will close on 2 from this source. It's time consuming but a good way to find unlisted gems. 

@adrien Chabot, who are you mailing to in order to get such a great response rate?

From what I've read the key is all about the follow up. You have to repeatedly send follow up mailers every 3-6 months for the direct mail strategy to be effective. Sending one won't keep you at the top of their mind when the seller eventually decides to sell!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you