Returned and Non Deliverable Yellow Letters

5 Replies

So I've sent out about 150 letters so far and have gotten back 16 as return to sender. I checked the addresses on the first few on the tax assessor's site and their correct. I got the info from listsource if that means anything.

I gotten a "forward time exp return to sender" (2) with a forward address so can I just send to the forward address instead?

"Attempted - not known, unable to forward" - 5

"Not Deliverable as addressed, unable to forward" - 7

"No such number, unable to forward" - 1

"Vacant, unable to forward" -1

Is there anyway I can find new/different addresses on these people? Is there something I need to check based on the reason they gave me? Or are these lost cases?

Hi @Stephanie Bureau , there was a recent BP Podcast where the guest talked about just these returns. I think it was this podcast, but I'm not positive. You may have to hunt around.

The guest said the returns were some of his best leads. 

Are these local? Can you take a swing by? Might be as simple as "Oak Place" vs. "Oak Place Ext." If your letters are getting returned, so are your competitors...

I'll check out that podcast. They're out of state owners sadly so I can't go by and check. One of them is Hawaii so that'll be an expensive flight to just check. Lol

The returns can definitely be your best leads. I haven't listened to the podcast that @Jaysen Medhurst mentioned, but you will want to research "skip tracing" if that podcast doesn't cover it. I'd recommend making it your mission to find and speak to (not mail to) those 16 folks. They may or may not want to sell, but it will be some of the most important learning you can do to get good in this business. Generally the best profits come from taking the extra step that most are too lazy to do.

Hire a local high school/college student to check the addresses out for you.

I find that the VACANT ones are the most interesting

I hate dealing with evictions so that is a major clue for me

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here