Direct Mail Marketing

29 Replies

Hello everyone, 

I am starting my direct mail marketing and have a few questions for the ones who've been successful in it so far. I am planning on targeting vacant homes and have already found a few around my area. I have found the home owners but cant seem to figure out great content to write on those yellow letters. 

Si I guess my question is, what is it that you all have been putting in your yellow letters and what has been successful for you? I am looking more for "call to action" content and something that would trigger a motivated seller to pick up the phone and call me!

Also, what have you found that hasn't worked for you and how did you make it work? Just looking for the right things to say that can be effective.

Thanks in advance! 

@Christian Laines , since you're targeting vacant homes, I'm assuming you found them driving for dollars and your list is not too big? Why don't you attempt to call them instead, rather than sending them a letter? That's what my partner and I have done, and it's proven effective. If you absolutely can't find a phone number, then just get straight to the point in the letter. We haven't done any direct mail campaigns yet, but I'll include something below that I typed out, and plan to use in the future. If you use it, I'd love to hear how effective it was.

Dear Homeowner,

I am interested in purchasing homes in your neighborhood, and your home fits the criteria of what I am looking for.

If you have any interest in selling, I can pay a fair price, buy your house “as is”, and close on the date most convenient to you. There’s no need to put your house on the market or list it with an agent, and there is no fee or commission, just immediate relief.

Please give me a call or send me an email, at the number and email listed below, to learn more about how I might buy your house.

Signature Block

(***) ***-****

(email address)

@Allan Rosso Yea, my list up to this point isn't too big. I did find these homes driving for dollars but I was also planning on buying a list on Listsource for  OOP and specifically target them as well. I have looked everywhere for phone numbers but have yet to find numbers. Only owners current address on tax records. But thank you for that info! That's actually something I was looking for to give me an idea. I'll make sure to tweak it a bit to not use your exact letter, but this sounds great!  

@Christian Laines I would recommend staying away from yellow letters you can create a handwritten letter that will grab the prospect attention just as easily and they stick out more than yellow letters because yellow letters are so over used. Just my thoughts hope that helps :)

@McKinley Carbone thanks! I too was also debating on wether to use yellow letters or a regular hand written letter. Several people on here have said that yellow letters are very effective though. 

@Christian Laines Yeah it is really about finding what works for you. I am happy to chat more if you want the numbers behind my claim. Message me!

My mentor always hand writes his seller prospects, he says its highly effective. He also recommends that I always call when possible, his logic is why wait for a letter to reach a possible seller and hope for a response when you can get an answer immediately with a simple call. In the event I can not find a working phone number , I send out a very basic ,friendly but to the point letter about wanting to buy or offering my assistance in locating a buyer for their property. With this letter I include a short  hand written"post-it" note encouraging them to call when convenient, thanking them for their time or asking them to keep my info handy for when they're ready to sell . This adds a personal touch and keeps me from having to write several paragraphs each time I find a new property.

Hope this helps !

@Adrian Becoat This was great info! Although its going to be time consuming, I guess hand written letters are going to be more highly effective. What resources are you using to find your seller prospects phone numbers? I am currently just using tax records but as you know tax records does not show owners phone numbers. The "post it" note idea sounds interesting. I may be using this strategy. Thanks for the help! 

I definitely agree with @McKinley Carbone 's and @Adrian Becoat 's suggestion about handwritten letters. Especially since you're working with a smaller list right now. As far as finding phone numbers, I usually do a bunch of googling around using the name, address, and/or a combination of both. One website that pops up often, and has proven fruitful, is

https://homemetry.com/.

@Christian Laines its definitely time consuming but as @Allan Rosso mentioned it works because our list are small. I use "advance backgroundsearch.com" or white pages.com to find numbers . I'm definitely gonna add homemetry.com to my tool box thanks Allen for the suggestion. To save a little time I've also created a typed standard company letter. This is what I attach the hand written( post it note) message to. I run 2 other businesses and sometime I just cant take the time to hand write a whole letter but I at least need to make a formal effort to let the seller know I'm out here and I'm interested.

Updated 4 months ago

www.advancedbackgroundsearch.com

@Allan Rosso great stuff! Thanks for your help Allan. I'll make sure to add homemetry.com to my resources. 

@Christian Laines Consider working with a list broker to get suggestions on list alternatives. It might be good to combine a couple lists to see which works best for your. Absentee, Owner Occupied, Seniors, Financially Unstable - All can be mixed and matched to get the best list for your campaign.

Account Closed Thanks Karen! I'll make sure to get with my broker on this info. 

Originally posted by @McKinley Carbone :

@Christian Laines I would recommend staying away from yellow letters you can create a handwritten letter that will grab the prospect attention just as easily and they stick out more than yellow letters because yellow letters are so over used. Just my thoughts hope that helps :)

Indeed no yellow letters. But no handwritten letters either!!

Let me add to this.

You are a seller, you need to sell your house.. You receive two pieces of marketing. One is a professionally printed letter, with company logo, an LLC, formal english, proof of funds all neatly PRINTED in a clean white envelope.

The other is a nasty ripped off yellow letter (or white paper letter) with your rant written in creepy ink that looks like blood offering to buy their $356,000 house in CASH!

You crazy nut, you can't even afford a printer and decent printer paper. And you want to buy my house in cash? 

BELIEVE ME if this doesnt make sense to you it doesnt make sense to the seller either. Sellers are not some mysterious alien creatures whose brains work completely opposite from ours. What the heck!!

"ohh but stinky one, I got a deal from a yellow letter!!" Well  Have a damn cookie!! All that means is that IF you had sent ANY mailer to them they would have  worked too! My point is, you didn't make the deal BECAUSE you sent a yellow/hand written letter. You made a deal because they were desperate to sell. period.

Stay away from yellow letters! Heck stay away from hand written also. You really have to think on your own and don't blindly follow the gurus. All these yellow letters and written letters is a rumor started by these companies that make money off of them.

Dude and dudette Seriously think! If you are a motivated seller. You really need to sell your house are you going to pick someone BECAUSE they sent you a letter that was handwritten? NO of course not. You pick WHOEVER can help you and buy your house.

In fact.. better put..

You pick WHOEVER that SEEMS like they can help you and buy your house.

Conversions online and offline comes down to ONE thing. JUST ONE THING. Credibility.

Can YOU help me or can't you.

You have no chance if a solid printed letter   vs. a sloppy hand written letter (saying the exact same thing in both).

"Ohh hand written is personal"... HA HA HA HA HA.. yeh OK.. NO ONE CARES!!

Do you have money to buy my house or not?

@Jerryll Noorden That's awesome that you are crushing it with professional letters. Keep on keeping on :) Cheers!

No no. Please don't misunderstand. There is nothing I hate more than Direct Mail marketing. Well there is one thing I hate more. Wholesaling.

But anyways.

I started this business with pretty much zero funds so I was forced to start with wholesaling. 

Did I mention I hate wholesaling??

No?

Ok then...

I HATE WHOLESALING!!!!!

Of course you don't start out with a number one ranking website on Google so I had to do direct m marketing. I tried everything. I never got any good results with professional letters. Why do I hate handwritten letters that much? Because at least with the professional letters they didn't call and yell at me. But with the handwritten letters I got yelled at all the time. My best results were postcards. And I have stopped all of that. That is the whole reason why I spend all my time doing SEO. ALL my leads are from people that find me instead of me finding them. That is the power of a website. To put it into perspective I used to spend about $5,700 a month  on Direct Mail marketing this includes the list, the postage and all that for just for a handful of really miserable leads. Now I don't spend a Cent and I get several leads a day and they are high quality leads. Definitely not all the leads  are amazing. That's Actually good because those I sent to my agent for her to list. This keeps my agent loving me besides my monkey looks.

That is awesome @Jerryll Noorden my background is actually in SEO! It is really underestimated in the real estate investing world in my opinion, but it is a super solid tactic for sure. I think that direct mail is still beneficial if done correctly so I think there is a place for both. Again good on you for being ahead of the game when it comes to SEO, wishing you the best of luck man!

That is awesome @Jerryll Noorden my background is actually in SEO! It is really underestimated in the real estate investing world in my opinion, but it is a super solid tactic for sure. I think that direct mail is still beneficial if done correctly so I think there is a place for both. Again good on you for being ahead of the game when it comes to SEO, wishing you the best of luck man!

SSSSSHHHHHHUSHHH!!!

Come on woman!! Don't say that out loud!! Now people will look into SEO!!

BP don't mind her. Keep on door knocking and direct mailing. SEO is for old people!!

No no really. I promise!!

Oh shoot!! Yeah exactly I take it back. What even is SEO?! ;)

@Jerryll Noorden I definitely understand your hate for Direct Mail marketing. I agree with you 100%, but if I don't give it a shot then I will never know if my results were successful or not. I plan on sending mail for the next 5 months to see my response rate. If I can just land 1-2 deals within those 5 months then that should pretty much pay for itself on all the marketing that I am going to do. I appreciate the info. I will also look into the SEO, as I've heard from many that its been successful to them, including you. Wish you all the best luck! Good job on finding something that best works for you! 

Originally posted by @Christian Laines :

@Jerryll Noorden I definitely understand your hate for Direct Mail marketing. I agree with you 100%, but if I don't give it a shot then I will never know if my results were successful or not. I plan on sending mail for the next 5 months to see my response rate. If I can just land 1-2 deals within those 5 months then that should pretty much pay for itself on all the marketing that I am going to do. I appreciate the info. I will also look into the SEO, as I've heard from many that its been successful to them, including you. Wish you all the best luck! Good job on finding something that best works for you! 

Oh man no no. Dont misunderstand. When I first started the first thing I did was sent a whole batch of direct Mail out and within 3 months I made my first deal of $14,000 my second direct mail marketing landed me $20,000. By all means do direct mail. That doesn't mean I don't hate it with a vengeance.

Oh shoot!! Yeah exactly I take it back. What even is SEO?! ;)

Omg someone gets my humor on bp. Gasp!!

I will also look into the SEO, as I've heard from many that its been successful to them, including you. Wish you all the best luck! Good job on finding something that best works for you! 

@McKinley look what you did!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.