When do you choose to quit your job?

When do you choose to quit your job?

Rental Property Investor · Bedford, VA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 0 votes
Hi my name is Justin. I am trying to figure out when do you know it’s the right time to leave your job in order to live on your investments? Example, let’s say a person would need about $5k to live on. This would be enough to pay bills but then they would be living on their passive income. In turn a person couldn’t grow their business as fast as they would want. So is there a rule of thumb a person should go by? Something like 2 or 3 times what you make a month in order to pay for bills but also accommodate their passive income.
0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan DeppenBusiness Member
Erie, CO · Member since 2017 · 274 posts · 267 votes
8y

For me I decided to quit my job when it was clear that I was much more excited about notes, and that the potential upside was much greater than 2-4% annual raises. I hadn't replaced my income yet, but I had the advantage of my wife making enough for us to live on easily and full benefits to go along with that. Plus I had several deals going which would pay off over the next 12 months. So I wasn't really taking much personal financial risk. If I was a sole breadwinner and had to pay for health insurance for my family it probably would have taken another year. I was a guest on a podcast where I discussed the decision in detail. I'm not sure what all the policies are here on posting links, but if you pm me I can send it to you.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    @Justin Dillon Everyone is different. Here’s how I look at it. First I look at living expenses. Let’s say that’s 5k. Then I look at health insurance cost. That’s probably another 1k or more a month. Then I look at my investing goals. I want to be able To invest so I need money for that on top of living expenses. I take that total. Add 25 percent buffer. That’s the number for me
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Good to meet you Justin

    I tell my Coaching Students to not leave their job until they have "Saved" while earning, due to real estate, twice their JOB Income. 

    A very basic breakdown of costs for an employee/employer relationship

    FICA 7.65%
    Employee Side 7.65%
    State Unemployment Insurance 6.20%
    Health Care  5.85%
    Vacation Pay Minimum 4.00%
    Sick Pay 4.00%
    Paid Holidays 3.00%
    Crap you Break/Screw Up the employer pays for 5.00%
    Total 43.35%

    Prove you can pay yourself first

  • Dan DeppenBusiness Member
    Erie, CO · Member since 2017 · 274 posts · 267 votes
    8y

    For me I decided to quit my job when it was clear that I was much more excited about notes, and that the potential upside was much greater than 2-4% annual raises. I hadn't replaced my income yet, but I had the advantage of my wife making enough for us to live on easily and full benefits to go along with that. Plus I had several deals going which would pay off over the next 12 months. So I wasn't really taking much personal financial risk. If I was a sole breadwinner and had to pay for health insurance for my family it probably would have taken another year. I was a guest on a podcast where I discussed the decision in detail. I'm not sure what all the policies are here on posting links, but if you pm me I can send it to you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedford, VA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Thanks to everyone that gave me a answer.. I really appreciated y’all answering me so quickly.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Employment income is generally the easiest money to earn and will allow you to qualify for mortgages. No reason to throw that away simply due to having rental income.

    I left my job behind when I qualified for a pension. No reason to leave any sooner unless you intend to change jobs to work full time investing/property management.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    50% more than your target income. If you need $5k per month to be financially free, wait until you are making $7500.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.