Votes
Brian Cheng
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Should i evict a tenant to live in myself, or continue renting

Brian Cheng
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jul 24 2019, 06:57

So i came across this duplex and it costs roughly 270k to purchase. both unit occupied with tenants already. Tenant A current rent 1300, tenant B current 1250. Both in the house 5+ years, and never late payment according to seller. Tax roughly 4500 for 2018. and 1700 for insurance, tenants pays all utilities/mantenance. This seems like a house already cash flowing+ ( calculation shows roughly 400 a month if i pay listing price assuming no rehab required, everything sold/run as is)

The thing is, im looking for a place to live in myself, and so if im looking to take over this property, i'd have to evict one of the tenant which from what i've read is a nightmare, this is my first time buying so i really don't want to mess with what's already working smoothly. So im wondering if i should go ahead and get the property , then continue to rent and use the cashflow to offset part of my rent until i find another residence. Or simply move on and look for another multi to househack in.

edit: I know if i continue to pay rent it is basically a negative ROI at first, but im thinking it would be a good way to dip my toes into REI because it is already a well run machine and i can start learning how to landlord as everything's already set up in place. (no rehab required)

Loading replies...