Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ali Chami
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dearborn, MI
Votes |
Seller financing

Ali Chami
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dearborn, MI
Posted Sep 2 2008, 08:08

Hello all, I was looking for some advice or input on a RE transaction. I began buying SFRs and rehabbing them with the intent to hold them for a return (also, I always keep my options open). So far, so good. I have 5 under my belt and the renters are lining up, thankfully. On average, my final cost after acquisition and rehab is just under 20K per property (all appraise at 60 to 70K). I am collecting 800 to 900 monthly rent per property. Taxes and insurance range from 2,500 to 3,500 annually on each. The return is very good (25 to 30% ROI on each).
On one property, a prospective tenant wants to purchase it. We agreed on 55K purchase price, with 10% down. When I ran the numbers, however, on a 30 year note it does not look very good for me if I hold the note. Of course, there is the option of selling the note later on, but there is no guarantee. Renting it out would be a much better return for me.
Then I re-ran the numbers based on a 15 year note at 9%. I proposed this to the tenant and he was quite pleased (even at a 15 year amortization, his PITI would still be lower than the 850 rent). The monthly payment on the note is a little less than what I would net if I rented it, but not by much.
But is my return now 9% (the finance rate)? If not, how do I calculate the ROI? If this works out, I would be in a position where I probably would not want to sell the note. Any insight or advice? What are the perils of seller financing? Part of the requirement for financing (assuming it is allowable) is that I draw the payment directly from the buyer's bank account every month (spoke with the branch manager at my bank and she told me that we can do this at no cost).

Thanks,

Ali

Loading replies...