Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sean Chua
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Votes |
Reserve Amount - House hacking in Atlanta

Sean Chua
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Posted Jun 11 2022, 19:08

Hi guys!

I'm trying to analyze deals for house hacking (renting by the room) and am re-evaluating the way I calculate reserves. Currently, I use a percent multiplier by rent: 5% for repairs/maintenance, 8% for vacancy, and 5% for capital expenditures. Assuming I'm getting $4,000 gross rent, that means I'm putting $720 away in reserves. Is this too much? How do you guys calculate reserves?

User Stats

Votes
Rick Baggenstoss
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Decatur, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Decatur, GA
Replied Jun 13 2022, 06:55

I think your assumptions are reasonable.  Your particular property will greatly affect the amount.  For example, a house hack on Lake Lanier would have higher vacancy than in the city.  Maintenance/capex on a 50 year old will be different than a 10 year old home.  

Often in a house hack, the owner is doing a few of the fixes so there are fewer maintenance calls.  If this were non-owner occupied or if you were not going to fix a couple of things, then your maintenance is low.  More people --->. more maintenance.

GaREIA Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 13 2022, 07:47

Hi @Sean Chua, that is likely enough. However, renting by the room generally has more repairs so that is the only one you might be light on.

More people = more use = more deterioration

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jun 13 2022, 12:32

@Sean Chua, as Rick points out, what is right for you is wrong for someone else.  Is this a really nice house?  A subzero fridge (I am guessing) is going to cost more to repair and certainly to replace than a basic GE fridge from Home Depot. But more so current condition is a bigger indicator of repairs/maintenance than anything else.  

As for cap ex, I am guessing you are very light.  On average, my houses need to reserve about $400/mo in capex.  This should fully cover a new roof every 25 yrs (assuming new today), kitchen and bath Renos every 10-15 yrs, new HVAC every 15 yrs, exterior paint, interior paint, decks, patios, landscaping, gutters, etc.  And this is assuming everything is new today.  If you only have 5 yrs left on the roof, or the kitchen really needs an update, and you want to cover that from cashflow, then your monthly number needs to higher.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Talcott
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NH
Replied Jun 13 2022, 14:32

If you don't have partners or investors, you can likely cut it tighter and assess your personal finance situation, as opposed to treating the property as a business in a vacuum (especially when it's already not a standalone investment, with a home-for-you enjoyment factor).

You can think about all your assets on a continuum of liquidity.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 14 2022, 07:05

@Sean Chua, since your maintenance cost and capex are variable expenses, you can further analyze and adjust after receiving the inspection report. Also, keep in mind, that rent by the room investments are heavier on utilities, which you will be responsible for covering. Tenants/roommates are more frequently using water and electricity than if the property were to be purposed as a traditional rental, in which case the tenant usually pays. Make sure you are accounting for this and bake it into the rent. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Sean Chua
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Replied Jun 14 2022, 08:16

Thanks everyone for all the help! For context, I ideally want to find a single family residence around Sandy Springs (trying to find other places close to the city but am having some trouble pinpointing where else to buy that has decent crime rates) where I can rent out rooms at $800.

@Andrew Garcia

User Stats

Votes
Penny Brown
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 14 2022, 21:06

Word of advice...when renting by rooms, keep it all one gender.  Holds down confusion.  Sandy Springs may not be a rent by room neighborhood, have you tested the market to see if room rents are working there?  I'd focus getting the right property  in the right area before I drill down into capex and maintenance. That can lead to analysis paralysis.  Walk a few homes in Sandy Springs with a realtor and get your feet wet! Happy House Hunting!