Votes
Joey Samudio
Pro Member
Votes |
How to effectively calculate ARV?

Joey Samudio
Pro Member
Posted Mar 22 2023, 10:53

Hi, I am looking at doing my first fix and flip soon and was wondering what the best way to calculate ARV is? Do you usually work with a real estate agent to calculate this? Is there a good software out there that helps calculate this? I am currently trying to use both zillow zestimate as well as trying look at sold comps on zillow, but I am slow at this and not highly confident in my ability yet. Let me know your thoughts and tips on this

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Mar 22 2023, 11:38

I think working with a real estate agent would be the most accurate way and it is free as well. If you dont want to do that, you can go to the sold tab on redfin, zillow, or realtor.com and see the list prices of the homes in the area that have sold. I dont think they give you what they actually sold for though. 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Hammerle
  • Realtor
  • Providence, RI
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Providence, RI
Replied Mar 22 2023, 11:50

I would stay clear of zestimates. In absence of using an agent CMA; you can easily use the livable sq ft of the property and run comps with finished properties that are within 200+/- sqft. You'll get a sq/ft value and you can multiply by your properties sq footage. You can then make a qualitative adjustment based on bed/bath ratios.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Kinsella
  • Lender
Votes |

To add to others suggestions...

Try to look at properties that have sold within the last 6 mo's. and also are...

1. 1) The same property type as the subject property
  2. 2) Similar property size/features to the subject property
  3. 3) Proximate to the subject property

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 22 2023, 15:25

There is no better data than comparables from the MLS. Use a realtor.