• New to Real Estate
  • Seattle
Votes |
Deal review for a duplex

Rachit Puri
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle
Posted Apr 9 2023, 03:01

I'm a new investor and looking for your opinion on a deal that got my attention.

Place: Houston

House: Duplex, 3bed 3bath 2000 sqft each unit. 

Price: 350k (slight room for negotiation)

Rent: tenant 1 is paying $1200 month to month lease and 2nd unit just got vacant. Market rate around that area is $1600

There is no upgrade required before I can rent the other unit. 

Questions:
1.  How easy it is to increase the rent in Houston? Tenant 1 is paying $1200 from past 2 yrs which is way under the market price.  

2. Once a tenant has month to month lease, can you convert it back to 1 year lease?
3. Even if I rent the other unit for $1600, it does not meet the 1% rule. So should I even consider this deal?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied Apr 9 2023, 03:11

@Rachit Puri - Great questions, see my responses below:

1. I do not own in Texas or Houston so I cannot advise.

2. Normally when a tenant is month to month, you have the ability to raise rent within 30-60 days and set them up on a new lease so yes, you can convert them to a year lease.

3. Where interest rates are at, I would not consider a deal that cannot meet the 1% rule in the first 12 month months of ownership. Sometimes it takes time to stabalize a property and get the property to perform at max value, but if that max value does not exceed the 1% rule, I cannot see a property cash flowing at a 6 or 7% interest rate. That is just my buy box, but I do know other people that invest in expensive/highly appeciating markets like Boston and get no where near the 1% rule. Most of their plays are forced appreciation plays though. 

User Stats

Votes
Amika B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston & Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston & Austin, TX
Replied Apr 9 2023, 12:05

If you're not meeting the 1% rule (which should really be the 2% rule), and you have to really make a push to raise rents on an existing tenant, you might be getting yourself into a sticky situation especially as a new investor. Just a thought! Looks like you're really thinking ahead though which is a great way to analyze deals! 

I'm in the Houston area so please let me know if I can help in any way! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rachit Puri
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle
Replied Apr 9 2023, 17:34
Quote from @Andrew Freed:

@Rachit Puri - Great questions, see my responses below:

1. I do not own in Texas or Houston so I cannot advise.

2. Normally when a tenant is month to month, you have the ability to raise rent within 30-60 days and set them up on a new lease so yes, you can convert them to a year lease.

3. Where interest rates are at, I would not consider a deal that cannot meet the 1% rule in the first 12 month months of ownership. Sometimes it takes time to stabalize a property and get the property to perform at max value, but if that max value does not exceed the 1% rule, I cannot see a property cash flowing at a 6 or 7% interest rate. That is just my buy box, but I do know other people that invest in expensive/highly appeciating markets like Boston and get no where near the 1% rule. Most of their plays are forced appreciation plays though. 

Thanks Andrew for your honest opinion. I'm looking for cash flow for my first investment so that I feel comfortable and don't regret later and wait for property to appreciate. I studied in Boston and feels the real estate is really expensive there but could be wrong. My budget is 450k. If you have good deals around Boston, hit me up.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied Apr 9 2023, 17:43

@Rachit Puri - I buy and own in Worcester MA, the second largest city in Mass and 45 min away from Boston. I find properties normally at the 1% rule here and it has the largest stock of multis out of any city in Massachusetts. To your point, it's impossible to find properties at or near the 1% rule near Boston but you can definitely find them in the western parts of Massachusetts. 

User Stats

Votes
Rachit Puri
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle
Replied Apr 9 2023, 17:57
Quote from @Amika B.:

If you're not meeting the 1% rule (which should really be the 2% rule), and you have to really make a push to raise rents on an existing tenant, you might be getting yourself into a sticky situation especially as a new investor. Just a thought! Looks like you're really thinking ahead though which is a great way to analyze deals! 

I'm in the Houston area so please let me know if I can help in any way! 

Yes, I think raising rent to reach 1% is not a good idea.