Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Darrie W. Bennett
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Votes |
Escrow, Assignment Fees, & Ernest Money Deposits

Darrie W. Bennett
  • Real Estate Broker
Posted

Hello fellow members -

I finished drafting my Assignment Contract and have a few questions:

1. Do I need to have an attorney review and make changes to the the contract before using it the first time?

2. When do you open escrow? When my offer is accepted or after I have it assigned?

3. How do you determine your assignment fee?

4. When is your fee due? Upon assignment or when escrow closes? I am asking to be paid upon assignment.

5. How do you collect your fee? Cashier's check, wired funds, ... ?

6. Do you ever ask the investor to put up the Earnest Money Deposit ?

I would appreciate any input.

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Sharp
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

1. Do I need to have an attorney review and make changes to the the contract before using it the first time?

It is up to you, wouldn't hurt, but also depends on your budget. With attorney's, they all eat. Take them to lunch, lunch is cheaper than retainers :)

2. When do you open escrow? When my offer is accepted or after I have it assigned?

I let the end user open escrow. They will be buying it anyways.

3. How do you determine your assignment fee?

I determine mine based on what the market will bear and how good of a deal it is based on the market and what the end investor wants. I have assigned for as little as $1,000 and as high as $30,000. The latter was because I got such a great deal and then shopped it to multiple investors.

4. When is your fee due? Upon assignment or when escrow closes? I am asking to be paid upon assignment.

Either or. I shoot for as soon as possible. Some of it will depend on how you structure the assignment. If you go the attorney route, they can help, or title company.

5. How do you collect your fee? Cashier's check, wired funds, ... ?

Cash is King. But any form outside of a personal check :)

6. Do you ever ask the investor to put up the Earnest Money Deposit ?

I do not. But it doesn't mean you can't. Most the time, I have found, the investor will not, unless they are buying the deal. Since you have to secure the property before assigning it, you will most likely be putting down the earnest. Plus, most investors will not put down earnest, unless the contract is in their name so they can have control of their funds.

Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Darrie W. Bennett
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

Cameron -

Thanks for the reply. I can't believe how much free info I get with Bigger Pockets. It's all good. I just updated the addendum to my Purchase Contract. Now it reads: 1. Escrow to be opened by the assignee within 3 days after the contract is assigned. 2. The assignee will deposit the earnest money deposit.

Otherwise, I will deposit the earnest and ask for it back when I assign the contract. Sound good?

Thanks Again,

Darrie

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Sharp
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

@Darrie W. Bennett Its not free, wait till I send you the bill :) JK

Yes. Put up te earnest and have your clauses in the contract to get it back if the deal goes south or you can not assign it. Then have your new buyer, the assignee put up the earnest to have it assigned to them.