Help me analyze this deal

Help me analyze this deal

Real Estate Agent · Bluffton, SC · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I have been analyzing several properties. All the numbers look like they are good deals. Am I missing something in my calculations? Is it ok if I do not meet the 2% rule if my cash flow is over $100/unit?

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

0Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 2 votes
7y

@Jody Vilcheck The entire city of Buffalo has been reassessed. You can check the reassessment at:

https://buffalo.oarsystem.com/Home.aspx

It looks like the new assessment on this property is $116,000. 

The current homestead tax rate in the city of buffalo (City, School, Sewer Rent, and County) is $27.43 per 1000. This can be found here:

https://www.buffalony.gov/DocumentCenter/View/6039/2019-2020-Tax-Rate-Per-M

Based on this info your yearly tax will be around $3181.88 or $265/ Month.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jody Vilcheck you're going to have to adjust for property tax when you buy it. It's assessed for 58,000 which will be changed once you purchase the property. I love the name of the owners and the price they bought the place for back in 2015. Nothing like good ol Buffalo! The property makes for a good investment, Buffalo is seeing much love from out of state and NYC investors. But I only know that because I know a few people up there. I'm sure others from Buffalo can chime in. Good luck!

  • Ashley KehrPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 208 posts · 185 votes
    7y

    @Jody Vilcheck I purchased property in buffalo two years ago and last year. They were both reassessed recently for almost double. The taxes on one decreased and the other increased by $41. I haven’t done a deep dive to see why but that’s what was on the assessors statement. Are you owner occupying the unit? If not I’m interested in what bank you’ll be using to get 4% for 30 years on an investment property. I have great credit, two years of rental income, w-2 income and can’t find below 5%! Thanks!!

  • Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jody Vilcheck your expenses are low. I use 23% for vacancy,repairs and capex you are at 15%. Let's just say there is 3000 sf of flooring that was just replaced. Life span is 8 years and it cost $6 sf. 3000*6/8/12 months in a year= $188 per month for 1 item. Roof 25 year life span, appliances 12 year life span, hot water heater 12 year life span, hvac 20 year life span. The 2% rule is for ghetto property and the evictions and turnover make it unable to cash flow. I look for at least 10% cash on cash.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jody Vilcheck here is what you are missing as I have been in this property several times. There is really shoddy maintenance work done on every apartment. The mechanicals are old, and $2000 is on the high side of what you will bring in. Your repair costs should be closer to 8-10% for this property, CapEx 7-10% and rent is more likely around $1700 + What @Ashley Kehr said about your interest rate.  

    IN short, you are really underestimating your costs, and overestimating your rent.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Bluffton, SC · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Kehr I am new to the investing that’s why I was asking others for their input. I was using 4% since that is what is used in the free webinars on Bigger Pickets. I asked the mortgage officer I have been talking to and you are right the rate is a little above 5%.

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jody Vilcheck The entire city of Buffalo has been reassessed. You can check the reassessment at:

    https://buffalo.oarsystem.com/Home.aspx

    It looks like the new assessment on this property is $116,000. 

    The current homestead tax rate in the city of buffalo (City, School, Sewer Rent, and County) is $27.43 per 1000. This can be found here:

    https://www.buffalony.gov/DocumentCenter/View/6039/2019-2020-Tax-Rate-Per-M

    Based on this info your yearly tax will be around $3181.88 or $265/ Month.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.