Skip to content
Real Estate News & Current Events

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Higher Property Taxes Coming Soon To Columbus Ohio... What Are You Doing To Prepare?

Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Apr 7 2023, 07:05

So it looks like Franklin County is doing a mass re-appraisal process for our property taxes in 2023. Higher property taxes coming soon for Columbus Ohio properties?

Article: https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/real-estate/how-to-track-property-tax-changes-in-franklin-county

Timeline for updated property taxes: https://audr-apps.franklincountyohio.gov/KnowYourHomeValue

What are your guys thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Fiore
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Apr 7 2023, 07:30

This is always the inevitable. I tell my clients to always head to the auditors website and punch in the sale price to the tax section and see what the taxes would be. It makes them more prepared for the increase in taxes. I think this may create more LLC transfer transactions as well to try and avoid that.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Goldsmith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 7 2023, 10:57

As @Jordan Fiore said it is best to check the auditors and try and prepare for it but LLC transfers are definitely a short-term solution @Jimmy Lieuim

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 8 2023, 11:41
Quote from @Jordan Fiore:

This is always the inevitable. I tell my clients to always head to the auditors website and punch in the sale price to the tax section and see what the taxes would be. It makes them more prepared for the increase in taxes. I think this may create more LLC transfer transactions as well to try and avoid that.

This is great info! Totally agree! I feel like a lot of buyers only use the original tax amounts and they don't realize that taxes jump up to their purchase price the following next year

User Stats

Votes
Adah N.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 8 2023, 15:11

@Jimmy Lieu

Is it typical to expect a hike the following year? Both single and multifamily?

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 9 2023, 11:26
Quote from @Adah N.:

@Jimmy Lieu

Is it typical to expect a hike the following year? Both single and multifamily?

Yes for all types of properties - both single families and multifamily property taxes will increase the following year based on the purchase price you bought it at - I would check with your city auditor site to estimate how much your taxes will increase by so you're not caught off guard - you should be doing this before buying any house!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 5 2023, 16:31

I may be missing something, but given that in Ohio property values are reappraised every 3 years anyway, is this really a significant change compared to past reappraisal cycles?

It seems like the only differences with the 2023 reappraisal are that a visual inspection of the outside of the property may occur, and that there's a new website that provides more resources/transparency regarding the process (which I would think is a good thing).