Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tenant Screening
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jason Hyder
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Tenant Screening ? 3 roommates 3 diff results from background chk

Jason Hyder
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jul 20 2022, 10:40

Hello BP Community.  Working on my second rental property but first one that I am doing the tenant screening.  It is my time to jump in and learn this part.  I am using an online company to complete the tenant screening.  I have showed the property to 3 roommates and just completed my tenant background and screening.  1 tenant was all green lights!  The other 2 were conditional, or yellow light as an analogy.  (All 3 submitted separate app/app fee).  I am just not feeling good on moving forward as 1 of the 3 has deliquent payments on their car in the last 30/60 days and some other items.  

My question would be, how would you handle the communication in this scenario pending I were to decline their applications collectively?  Are there privacy concerns I need to worry about from the communication.  Or do I just keep it simple and decline the collective group based on certain financial criteria?

Thanks for any feedback here.

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 20 2022, 11:47

There is a lot written about this on the internet.  Some credit agencies suggest that the strongest candidate should have his credit pulled first (really?) and others say "why would you rent an apartment with someone who can't afford to pay his bills now" (more like it).  Since they made application together, I would let whomever you're communicating with know that "as a group, they did not meet the minimum qualifying criteria."  If asked for any details, suggest that they each obtain their own credit bureau reports to make sure the information is correct. Unfortunately I have seen landlords be pulled into major wars and delinquency by multiple tenant situations - and it simply is no way to run a business.  Keep looking...