• Boise, ID
Votes |
Tenant Needing to Terminate Lease

Geri May
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boise, ID
Posted Mar 27 2023, 12:01

I am looking for a legal document to use to allow one of our tenants to terminate her lease early. I looked under the BP Landlord documents but do not see one. Can anyone help with this, we are in Boise, Idaho. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Mar 27 2023, 15:44
Aloha,

If this is, for example, 1 of three sharing a single unit, all on one agreement, you need an addendum to properly remove the person. An addendum simply references the name and date of the original agreement, states the change being made, and requires agreement and signatures from all parties.

If it is just an individual tenant, or family/group that are ALL vacating a single unit, a simple "we agree to let ___ break Rental Agreement for premises 3456 Main St. dated _____ and vacate on DATE without penalty (assuming that is your intent), paying pro-rated rent only for days of possession, and returning the property in the same condition as when originally rented per the move in condition form dated___.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Mar 27 2023, 16:38

If she's the only one on the lease, simply write up a document saying she's ending the lease early.  Then follow the terms of the lease. Is there an early termination fee that she has to pay, when will she be out and what happens if she's not out then?  Have both of you sign the document and give her a copy.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 28 2023, 05:57
Quote from @Geri May:

I am looking for a legal document to use to allow one of our tenants to terminate her lease early. I looked under the BP Landlord documents but do not see one. Can anyone help with this, we are in Boise, Idaho. 

I agree with the others. If it's just one person, a hand-written note signed by you and the Tenant will be sufficient. If one tenant is leaving and others are staying, then you want a "Remove Tenant Addendum" that spells out what's happening and is assigned by you and all the tenants.

Connect with me, send a private message requesting my Remove Tenant Addendum, and I'll share it with you.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Geri May
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boise, ID
Replied Mar 28 2023, 19:13

Thank you all, this is very helpful. She is on a lease with her boyfriend renting one room in a three-bedroom home. The other two tenants have their own separate leases, but she is on the lease with her boyfriend but needs to leave early. I can use the lease addendum from BP Forms for Idano and write up and have her boyfriend as well as her sign plus write up separate addendums for all tenants as they have agreed to cover her portion of the rent and they will now have a rent increase so will need an addendum signed. 

@Nathan Gesner I would love that document so that I have it for the future. I appreciate you always being willing to share.

I am also wanting to do an annual lease inspection for two other properties I own as their leases are coming to an end so before they renew I want to do an inspection before they sign a new lease. Does anyone have something I can use? I want it to be a little different than the move-in move-out checklist. Thank you all!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 29 2023, 04:59
Quote from @Geri May:

I am also wanting to do an annual lease inspection for two other properties I own as their leases are coming to an end so before they renew I want to do an inspection before they sign a new lease. Does anyone have something I can use? I want it to be a little different than the move-in move-out checklist. Thank you all!

Check out File Place: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

The link is located in the footer of every page on the left side. This is an area where members can share spreadsheets, forms, documents, pictures, and more. You may find something there.

If you find a file you like, be sure to leave it a review!

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo