Skip to content
Canadian Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Tomasz Andres
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Votes |
How to lead-gen for-sale-by-owner or distressed properties in Canada?

Tomasz Andres
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Posted Mar 3 2023, 15:51

I've been looking to find a way to lead-gen for-sale-by-owner or distressed properties in Ontario.

What sorts of strategies would work in Canada?

Is pulling lists an option?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 3 2023, 21:51

The same strategies that work in the US. Target distress. 

User Stats

Votes
Tomasz Andres
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Replied Mar 3 2023, 22:14
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

The same strategies that work in the US. Target distress. 

Hey Eliott,

Thanks for your response.

The reason I ask is that in Canada, the privacy laws prevent a lot of different kinds of data from being pulled including probates, liens, etc since they consider it "personally identifiable info."
In addition, I'm unfamiliar with any skip-tracing solution for the Canadian market.

I'd love to be able to target distressed properties but I'm looking for strategies to locate these properties and be able to pull their contact info.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael W Sullivant
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canada
Replied Mar 4 2023, 03:17

Hi Tomasz!

Yep, "pulling lists" in Canada is tough and I have not figured it out. However, I think it was on Glen Sutherland's podcast "A Canadian Investing in the USA," that I heard him interview someone in Ontario who printed some door hangers and was getting some good deals through that. Obviously, that is a bit more tedious since you have to either put in the footsteps yourself or hire someone else to do it. I think the guy he talked to said something about paying for a service that delivers local newspapers and flyers to also deliver his hanger.

Sorry I can't be more specific and helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Stevo Sun
  • Calgary, AB
Votes |
  • Calgary, AB
Replied Mar 4 2023, 06:31
Quote from @Michael W Sullivant:

Hi Tomasz!

Yep, "pulling lists" in Canada is tough and I have not figured it out. However, I think it was on Glen Sutherland's podcast "A Canadian Investing in the USA," that I heard him interview someone in Ontario who printed some door hangers and was getting some good deals through that. Obviously, that is a bit more tedious since you have to either put in the footsteps yourself or hire someone else to do it. I think the guy he talked to said something about paying for a service that delivers local newspapers and flyers to also deliver his hanger.

Some services will print your 'ads' and mail them out for you. During 2021 I received multiple in my mailbox. They are usually printed in a handwritten font and basically ask the question, 'are you looking to sell your house?'. 

The other way you can go about it is the good old driving for dollars technique and look for distressed properties. From there, you can pull the title document and mail the owners on title. This is obviously more labour-intensive than the spray-and-pray method.

As far as I know, there's no way of pulling lists of distressed properties, even though you can generally pull individual land titles for a fee. 

User Stats

Votes
Tomasz Andres
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Replied Mar 4 2023, 06:32

Hi Tomasz!

Door hangers sound like a neat idea, will look into that, thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Tomasz Andres
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Replied Mar 4 2023, 06:33
Quote from @Stevo Sun:

Hi Tomasz!

Some services will print your 'ads' and mail them out for you. During 2021 I received multiple in my mailbox. They are usually printed in a handwritten font and basically ask the question, 'are you looking to sell your house?'. 

The other way you can go about it is the good old driving for dollars technique and look for distressed properties. From there, you can pull the title document and mail the owners on title. This is obviously more labour-intensive than the spray-and-pray method.

As far as I know, there's no way of pulling lists of distressed properties, even though you can generally pull individual land titles for a fee. 

Can you recommend any good, low-cost services that do printing like this? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Stevo Sun
  • Calgary, AB
Votes |
  • Calgary, AB
Replied Mar 4 2023, 06:40
Quote from @Tomasz Andres:
Quote from @Stevo Sun:

Hi Tomasz!

Can you recommend any good, low-cost services that do printing like this? Thanks!

You can google direct mail service in your area and test out what's best for you. I have not personally done this. I don't have the capital to require that level of deal flow. Personally, I've gone the drive-for-dollars route. I know Canada Post will do the direct mailing for you as well, so that's probably the easiest, and they'll probably help you ensure you are not breaking any anti-spam legislation.

User Stats

Votes
Tomasz Andres
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Windsor, Ontario
Replied Mar 4 2023, 06:55
Quote from @Stevo Sun:
Quote from @Tomasz Andres:
Quote from @Stevo Sun:

Hi Tomasz!

You can google direct mail service in your area and test out what's best for you. I have not personally done this. I don't have the capital to require that level of deal flow. Personally, I've gone the drive-for-dollars route. I know Canada Post will do the direct mailing for you as well, so that's probably the easiest, and they'll probably help you ensure you are not breaking any anti-spam legislation.

Cool stuff, thank you!