Skip to content
First-Time Home Buyer

User Stats

Votes

How to invest in bay area?

Posted Apr 2 2023, 22:16

Hi,

I am a software engineer based in San Jose, CA. I am looking to buy a property here this year. I would like to know how I can buy a property and make it at least break even if not cash flow.The reason I want to buy here is because of the appreciation that I cannot find elsewhere and the leverage I get on properties that are worth close to a million dollars. I have been renting forever and don't want to rent forever. I don't have long term plans of staying in the bay area. Are there any strategies that could be used to make properties cash flowing in the Bay area so that I can rent it out in case I want to move in the next 2 or 3 years after buying?

Thanks,

Nischal

User Stats

Votes
Chad Hale
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Apr 3 2023, 07:33
Hi Nischal,

Multi-family homes will be your best bet to find a cash flow neutral or better property.  Of course you can always use a larger down payment to achieve cash flow. But that changes the ROI too.  The bay area is still competitive for good properties.  You'll need to have a good agent and be ready to act fast (within a day often even hours) if/when a property hits the market that meets your criteria.
Pintail Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Darius Ogloza
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Replied Apr 4 2023, 06:35

Your best bet is to do a house hack of one kind or another. A duplex, a SFR with multiple extra bedrooms, or a SFR with an ADU or JADU. You can secure the best available financing (available only to first time home buyers) for a partial investment purpose if you do one of these kinds of deals.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Peters
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied May 15 2023, 11:59

If you can learn to do some work yourself Sweat Equity is your best bet. BRRRR.