Skip to content
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Cindy Joseph
Votes |
House hacking with duplex- umbrella or landlords insurance ?

Cindy Joseph
Posted Nov 19 2022, 15:08

We purchased a duplex and will be living on 1 side and renting the other. I found out llc is not a good idea. Do I need umbrella insurance or landlords insurance or both? Landlord is significantly more than umbrella. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 19 2022, 15:15
Quote from @Cindy Joseph:

We purchased a duplex and will be living on 1 side and renting the other. I found out llc is not a good idea. Do I need umbrella insurance or landlords insurance or both? Landlord is significantly more than umbrella. 

Definitely LL. Umbrella not a bad idea as a supplement, but it’s supplemental.

User Stats

Votes
Cindy Joseph
Votes |
Replied Nov 19 2022, 15:49
Quote from @Ari Friedman:

Thanks, what’s the difference between the two? My understanding that umbrella covers liabilities after homeowners insurance maxes out  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 20 2022, 11:05
Quote from @Ari Friedman:

Thanks, what’s the difference between the two? My understanding that umbrella covers liabilities after homeowners insurance maxes out  

LL takes the place of homeowners. Umbrella is supplemental when you exceed coverage on the primary. Your agent will be able to explain.

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Nov 20 2022, 15:09

Cindy,

If the duplex is owner occupied there are dozens of quality Insurance companies that write a Homeowners policy for an owner occupied 2 family.  The Homeowners policy will have coverage for 

1. Building (look for Replacement cost coverage with Special form)

2. Contents (only your contents are covered, not the tenants contents.  They need to get their own renters policy)

3. Loss of Use (for the costs if you have to live elsewhere after a covered loss)

4. Loss of Rents (for the loss of rents you would receive after a covered loss)

5. Other Structures (for detached structures such as garages, sheds, etc.)

6. Liability (covers your personal Liability for Bodily Injury and/or Property Damage)

7. Medical Payments (covers medical costs of an accident on the property)

There are many endorsements available and you should discuss the coverage with a qualified Independent Agent (they represent multiple companies).

An Umbrella policy provides an Liability Limit that can provide coverage if a claim exhausts the limits of your Homeowners, Auto, Boat, motorcycle, etc. policies.   I think I would consider adding that type of policy, especially since you will be a landlord.