Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Rental Property Strategy

Darryl E Johnson
Posted Jan 25 2023, 03:52

Does anyone have any advice on how to use your primary residence as an investment property? 

Is it smart to transfer the house into your LLC? What are the pros and cons?

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 25 2023, 05:52

@Darryl E Johnson 
Unless you're an established investor with numerous doors starting an LLC is pointless. This has been discussed a lot in the forums. Good insurance coverages and reserves should be your two big goals. There's no laws pertaining to a primary residence, but... in some cases buyers never considered holding it as a rental property. Sometimes they cash-flow and sometimes they loose tons of $$$ per month making it a bad investment. Depends on your numbers. 

User Stats

Votes
Elias Osborne
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 13:09

Hey Darryl,

House hacking would be your best bet to use your primary residence as an investment property. You can get a 1-4 unit residential home using a FHA loan and pay 3.5% down which can help financially. So you can potentially rent out up to 3 units and take profit from those, apply that to your mortgage and potentially live rent free. You just have to make sure you keep up to standard as a landlord.

You do not have to use a LLC in this case. It does help conceal identity to the tenants if they are not paying direct to you and you utilize a property management company. Initially it may prevent financing if trying to secure with an LLC.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 25 2023, 16:39

@Darryl E Johnson 

How does an LLC Logically Protect a Landlord?

A lot of landlords are advised to put their properties in the name of an LLC for asset protection.

While this is basically true, the reality isn’t what most landlords think.

If a legal issue occurs with your property resulting in a lawsuit, there's a decent chance the plaintiff's attorney will be successful in "piercing the corporate veil" of your LLC if you were sloppy and being able to sue you directly.

Why? Because most landlords don't follow all the legal requirements to maintain their LLC as a separate entity.

So, what else can a landlord do to protect their personal assets from a business lawsuit?

Well, what types of lawsuits is a landlord most likely to face?

Lawsuit from tenants for personal injury!

How many tenants have the funds to pay a retainer fee to an attorney to handle the lawsuit?

Not many! Most will find a personal injury attorney that will take their case on contingency – meaning the attorney will charge very little, if anything, upfront, but take a third or more of whatever they collect.

And here is the secret of using an LLC to protect your personal assets – by "hiding" them!

You see, there’s nothing worse for an attorney taking on a contingency case, fronting all the legal expenses and investing their time to win a case and obtain a court judgment – then NOT be able to collect on the judgment.

So, astute attorneys will research the available assets and insurance before accepting a case on contingency. If they can’t find either, why would they waste any resources on the case?

If all they can find is the property in the LLC, it may not be worth the additional hassle of trying to force a sale of the property to collect on their judgment.

So, they'll research who owns the LLC and what assets that individual has.

If you act as the agent for your LLC and use your personal address – guess what? You've just made it super easy for them to find you and now they can research your other assets and probably sue you!

So, if you're going to go through the effort of setting up an LLC, be sure to take the extra steps to find an attorney, CPA or other professional willing to act as the agent for your LLC and allow you to use their address. Most will charge a reasonable annual fee, but think of it as insurance.

Lastly, consider just getting more insurance, typically an umbrella policy to cover your entire portfolio, instead of OR in addition to an LLC.

Of course, discuss all this with an attorney!

Please send us any feedback via email, as we do not use the DM feature here.
Also, if you like our response, please don’t be shy about giving us a vote😊

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 9 2023, 12:11

Hi Darryl, 

I would buy a duplex as an owner-occupant property and rent one side and live in another. After 1 year, you could use a quit claim deed to transfer the property to an LLC (this way you would be free of any liabilities).

I would not transfer the property to an LLC before a year because the lender could call the loan using the acceleration clause.

Let me know if you want any advice on house-hacking, fix & flip, BRRRR, or raising private capital. My family and I own over 400+ doors. I could definitely offer some positive insight.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 9 2023, 13:11
Quote from @Darryl E Johnson:

Does anyone have any advice on how to use your primary residence as an investment property? 

Is it smart to transfer the house into your LLC? What are the pros and cons?

Tons of different ways to house hack! I'd recommend the book House Hacking by Craig Curelop. So I got started in real estate investing by house hacking myself. I purchased my first single family house here in Columbus and started renting out bedrooms for $600 each and was able to live completely free because of it! Great financial move. Some popular ways of house hacking including renting out bedrooms in a single family house, renting out other units in your multifamily, renting out your guest house, etc. I'm an investor and agent here so I've worked with tons of investors looking to house hack so if you have any questions or need any help, feel free to reach out!

User Stats

Votes
Miller McSwain
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Mar 13 2023, 07:28

I've also been advised to not worry about putting my House hack into an LLC. If you ever decide to refinance, then you will likely get a loan with less favorable terms.

Also, I've been told that a lawsuit can easily "pierce the corporate veil" because you lived in the property. So this defeats the purpose of the LLC.

Instead, we purchased Umbrella Insurance that will help pay for a lawsuit if we ever get sued. It costs only $200/year for a $1 million policy (we currently have 2 properties and believe that $1 million is sufficient).