• New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Looking For: Pittsburgh House Hacking Opportunities

Tyler Fitzpatrick
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted May 24 2023, 11:17

Curious to know about emerging markets in the Pittsburgh area. Im a flexible new investor/First-time home buyer looking to purchase a Duplex or Triplex using FHA within the next 6 months. Can someone who has an eye on this market give me some insight? (this is my first time so if anyone has any general feedback I am more than open to it as well.)

Buy Box:

-Around 200k or less

-Duplex or more
-Ideally turnkey OR under ARV

-near public service, attractions, schools, hospitals, or university

My Next Steps

-financing preapproval

-selecting ideal areas

-selecting agent

-ect 

User Stats

Votes
Trent Dues
  • Title Representative
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Title Representative
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied May 24 2023, 13:58

Hi Tyler, just sent you a message. I would be happy to try and help connect you with agents in the Pittsburgh area that I've worked with, along with a broker if you are looking for funding options. Pittsburgh is full of many great communities, and there are great homes in this area that sell for around or less than your target price, depending how much you are willing to invest in renovation costs. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Taggart
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied May 25 2023, 08:46

@Tyler Fitzpatrick I've done 6 house hacks here in Pittsburgh myself so I can definitely attest to the strategy working here. Might do a 7th this year. 200k is a bit tight of a budget if you are looking to get into 2+ units in a B class or better area in the city on something that's turnkey or close to it. Most of the B class areas in and around downtown are running low 200's at this point. You are starting to creep into C/C+ once you dip down below 200k for turnkey on a duplex. Cavet here being if maybe one or both units are 1BR units or a studio. The price per unit goes down a bit as you get into 3/4 units which I tend to be a fan of if you are house hacking especially with the FHA loan. Not as many of those but they make it more doable to live for free if that's the goal. 200k budget will get you a lot more as you get further away from downtown. Most of the properties that will still at least break even on the cash flow side with an FHA loan are going to run about 50-120k/unit give or take depending on area/quality of property. My last 2 I have bought were 4 plexes in A/B areas close to downtown and I've been able to live for free. Hopefully that helps!

• Real Estate Agent PA (#RS340668)

DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Fitzpatrick
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 25 2023, 08:50
Quote from @Jeremy Taggart:

@Tyler Fitzpatrick I've done 6 house hacks here in Pittsburgh myself so I can definitely attest to the strategy working here. Might do a 7th this year. 200k is a bit tight of a budget if you are looking to get into 2+ units in a B class or better area in the city on something that's turnkey or close to it. Most of the B class areas in and around downtown are running low 200's at this point. You are starting to creep into C/C+ once you dip down below 200k for turnkey on a duplex. Cavet here being if maybe one or both units are 1BR units or a studio. The price per unit goes down a bit as you get into 3/4 units which I tend to be a fan of if you are house hacking especially with the FHA loan. Not as many of those but they make it more doable to live for free if that's the goal. 200k budget will get you a lot more as you get further away from downtown. Most of the properties that will still at least break even on the cash flow side with an FHA loan are going to run about 50-120k/unit give or take depending on area/quality of property. My last 2 I have bought were 4 plexes in A/B areas close to downtown and I've been able to live for free. Hopefully that helps!

Very helpful information! I sent you a private message yesterday. I would love to talk more with you if you're open to it.

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 27 2023, 06:38

Connect with a great investor-friendly agent and your goals will come into focus.

I wish you all the best.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 28 2023, 11:07

@Tyler Fitzpatrick just know if you do a triplex that may be tough to qualify for 5% down b/c it likely won't pass the self sufficiency test for FHA loans. I'd connect with a house hacking agent in your area and see what they think is an optimal strategy right now.

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Fitzpatrick
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 30 2023, 07:59
Quote from @Ryan Thomson:

@Tyler Fitzpatrick just know if you do a triplex that may be tough to qualify for 5% down b/c it likely won't pass the self sufficiency test for FHA loans. I'd connect with a house hacking agent in your area and see what they think is an optimal strategy right now.

thanks I am. That's really good advice. I'm now on the lookout for a house hacking agent

User Stats

Votes
Alex Hujdus
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Nov 9 2023, 11:28

That's a great strategy Tyler!

I would look in South Side, Mount Washington, Bloomfield, East Liberty, and Sharpsburg.