Votes |
Short and Medium Term Rental Vacancy Rates

Tyson Thompson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Colorado
Posted Nov 18 2022, 20:01

Hello!

Does anyone have any good advice or resources on how to determine an expected vacancy rate for short or medium-term rentals in any given area? My original thought was to basically just triple what the normal vacancy rates were in the area, but I know that would not be super accurate. We are analyzing a potential property as a short to medium-term rental and are struggling to pick a vacancy rate figure. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 19 2022, 05:37
Quote from @Tyson Thompson:

Your best option is to use a data site like AirDNA.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 10:48

I'm not sure AirDNA will help much for mid term rentals. There's a lot of data out there for short term rentals, but there's no easy way to determine MTR occupancy rates that I'm aware of. Networking and asking others in your market may be your best bet. In Los Angeles, our properties have around 10-15% vacancy throughout a given year. I recommend going with conservative number as you're analyzing and see how that works out for your deal.

Ignite Funding  logo
Ignite Funding
|
Sponsored
Maximize Your Returns with Trust Deeds Earn 10%-12% annually on collateralized real estate investments. No fees to invest.

User Stats

Votes
Lygia Bratton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Replied Nov 23 2022, 10:54
Quote from @Allen Duan:

I'm not sure AirDNA will help much for mid term rentals. There's a lot of data out there for short term rentals, but there's no easy way to determine MTR occupancy rates that I'm aware of. Networking and asking others in your market may be your best bet. In Los Angeles, our properties have around 10-15% vacancy throughout a given year. I recommend going with conservative number as you're analyzing and see how that works out for your deal.

Does anyone have a good advice on how/where to properly comp a multi unit property?

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 11:11

Hi Lygia, you can definitely find comps and estimate MTR rental rates with Airbnb and Furnished Finder. Just make sure to check if the comp is primarily a STR, which might make the mid term rates look higher if that listing is not targeting mid term bookings.

User Stats

Votes
Lygia Bratton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Replied Nov 23 2022, 15:33
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hi Lygia, you can definitely find comps and estimate MTR rental rates with Airbnb and Furnished Finder. Just make sure to check if the comp is primarily a STR, which might make the mid term rates look higher if that listing is not targeting mid term bookings.

Hi Allen,

I’m trying to comp the property itself and not the rental income. Any suggestion on any free websites that I might be able to do that?

User Stats

Votes
Brett Deas
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Colorado
Replied Nov 23 2022, 15:41

For the places I have in Denver vacancy ranges from 3% over 3 years to 20%. It is becoming a highly saturated market and you really need to make the place nice in order for it to get traction. As far as estimating goes I would look up furnished finders report to give some insight, combining that with other places like Zillow and other long term sites. 

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 15:51

Hi Lygia, do you mean the value of the property? You can use the typical websites like Zillow and Redfin for that.

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 23:15
Quote from @Lygia Bratton:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Does anyone have a good advice on how/where to properly comp a multi unit property?

Online real estate sites such as Trulia, Zillow, Redfin, Realtor.com, and LoopNet. Public records. Ask your realtor.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan R Andersen
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 10 2022, 08:51

@Tyson Thompson

Maybe not to determine vacancy %, but you can build out a como list in your area and find which types of properties are not currently available and why. Where I live there are rarely places that allow pets available for rent. Also mother in law suites and private bath are not as available.

Iso g this info you can better determine projected vacancy based on factors you can control on top of the fact that you could have other amenities or the best presentation that would help minimize vacancy.

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 12 2022, 08:46
Quote from @Tyson Thompson:

Hello!

Does anyone have any good advice or resources on how to determine an expected vacancy rate for short or medium-term rentals in any given area? My original thought was to basically just triple what the normal vacancy rates were in the area, but I know that would not be super accurate. We are analyzing a potential property as a short to medium-term rental and are struggling to pick a vacancy rate figure. Thanks in advance!

I own 2 units and manage another 2, we're seeing 5-15% vacancy across the units over the past 18 months. Biggest driver for vacancy for us is being pet friendly.