Votes
Heather Loyal
Pro Member
Votes |
New Mid Term Rental ~ Amenity Questions

Heather Loyal
Pro Member
Posted Nov 23 2022, 11:13

Hi MTR Group...I bought my first 4-plex in St. Petersburg Florida that I intend on turning into mid-term rentals.  I will be gutting all (4) units so I get to design them any way I want.  Wondering what kind of amenities I should be thinking of with a blank canvas. Each unit will have two bedrooms, one bath (shower/tub), small kitchen, living room area, small dining and desk area, private porch, and a common space in backyard.  Is offering laundry in each unit a benefit or would one coin-operated unit in a common area work?  Is anyone offering workout areas or equipment?  Also, should I offer outdoor games, a garden, or a firepit with common space seating?  Any insight is greatly appreciated.  

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 18:07

Who are you targeting as your customers? Set up the units to be attractive to that type of customer. Travel nurses and other professionals not working from home will be less interesting in the extra amenities I believe. In unit washer and dryers would be a plus for anyone. Digital nomads and others who would spend more time in the home may appreciate the extras. 

I find the extras don't matter in Los Angeles so much since there's so much more demand than supply. People are just trying to find a place to rent that is big enough for them and there aren't many options available. The extras wouldn't help us get more bookings or stand out as much.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Nov 24 2022, 17:40

I agree with @Allen Duan - it depends on what type of traveler you're targeting. Read the book American Nomads by Erin Spradlin if you want an in depth look at all things digital nomad related. The biggest differences I've found between travel nurses (medical professionals in general) and digital nomads is that a dedicated work space is a must for digital nomads. They want a comfortable desk and office chair and, ideally, they want it in a room they can close off from the rest of the house for quiet and privacy while in meetings. You'll get digital nomads who travel alone and with significant others, but they tend to be of the millennial age bracket. They spend a lot of time in the space so comfortable furniture is essential and so is a full kitchen. Travel nurses often want their own space, which is why 1/1's work well but some are willing to share a space with a fellow traveler. For this group, the space must, above all, feel safe. The demographic is overwhelmingly single female. Well lit outdoor spaces like walk ways and common areas, parking close to the unit, quiet because they're often shift workers. Comfortable beds and blackout curtains are a must. I'd personally always put in a full kitchen, but many don't cook or don't have time to and will be ok with a kitchenette. For travel nurses in-unit or at least W/D available in the complex is a huge advantage. In-unit definitely trumps in-complex because they often want to toss their scrubs in the washer when they get home and let it run while they sleep. There are plenty of other types of travelers looking for furnished spaces, but these are two of the biggest groups.

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs