Votes
Cindy Pham
Pro Member
Votes |
Legal advice - Contract agreement with Property Management

Cindy Pham
Pro Member
Posted Jan 10 2023, 11:25

I am looking for legal advice how to break a contract agreement with a property management company that is not performing. I have a one year contract with a property management company and want to end the contract 6 month early due to their performance and just overall their operations. Their contract stated that I would have to pay $5K per month for liquid damage. However, they are not even making me $5K a month. I signed the contract end of June so if I cancel now I would have to pay 6 month of liquid damage. Want to understand how liquid damage work if the other party is not performing and not making money for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 10 2023, 21:05

No one is going to give you legal advice. Have a civil conversation with them and explain why you are breaking contract. 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 11 2023, 06:10

Why in the world would you sign such a contract?

You will need to review the contract to confirm they violated a provision, so you can send the proper termination notice without penalty.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 16 2023, 08:35
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

Why in the world would you sign such a contract?

You will need to review the contract to confirm they violated a provision, so you can send the proper termination notice without penalty.

You need to write out exactly what they are doing wrong and notate everything. Confirm in the contract you signed that is part of their duty.  Once done, approach them with your concerns and of things don't move in the right direction, they might be breaching the contract. At that point you might have to get an attorney