Skip to content
Legal & Legislation

User Stats

Votes
Roman Sari
Votes |
How do I legally structure a deal to be the middleman in selling a subdivision?

Roman Sari
Posted Mar 3 2023, 19:54

I know the seller of an approved 6-house subdivision (shovel-ready) which he wants $1.2M for. He is willing to sell it to me for $1.0M. My friend pitched the idea of us being the middlemen and selling it forward to an out of state relative who is willing to buy it for $1.2M and is aware we will make a profit being the middlemen, signing an NDNC. 

I'm not able to double close the property because of the 30% downpayment the seller is asking. How would I structure this deal? Should I just leave it alone? Any other thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 4 2023, 07:18

I will lend you the $1M for a $50k fee until it closes. 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Mar 4 2023, 07:19
Quote from @Roman Sari:

I know the seller of an approved 6-house subdivision (shovel-ready) which he wants $1.2M for. He is willing to sell it to me for $1.0M. My friend pitched the idea of us being the middlemen and selling it forward to an out of state relative who is willing to buy it for $1.2M and is aware we will make a profit being the middlemen, signing an NDNC. 

I'm not able to double close the property because of the 30% downpayment the seller is asking. How would I structure this deal? Should I just leave it alone? Any other thoughts?

I'd probably purchase an assignable exclusive option to buy.  Most developers are familiar with Options.

You would record this or a Memorandum of Option, then be paid at closing for the difference between your option price vs buy price, minus additional closing costs.

In my area title insurance and transfer taxes are based on PP.  A $200k price increase would cost an additional 1.8% - $3600. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes