• Chesapeake, VA
Votes |
Need Tenant Law Guidance - Hastings, MN

Andy V.
  • Investor
  • Chesapeake, VA
Posted Feb 4 2024, 20:08

Good evening all.

Recently purchased a multi-unit in Hastings, MN and inherited all 12 tenants. I've been calling around to real estate lawyers but can't get a call back - requesting recommendations on a lawyer that is willing to work with a small landlord. 

Some of the questions I'll need to discuss with them:

1) The home is renting by the room (grand-fathered with the city zoning) and month-to-month, and I want to understand which of the laws apply to our situation. For example, I'm assuming that I don't need to notify the tenant before we come in to the common areas for maintenance.

2) As far as I can see, the previous landlord was not paying the tenants simple interest on their security deposit when they checked out. I wanted to understand if those rules are any different for month-to-month.

Thank you in advance for any assistance/recommendations!

Andy

User Stats

Votes
Devante Scholfield
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Wisconsin
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Wisconsin
Replied Feb 5 2024, 07:55

Hey Andy, sounds like a good deal at %100/occ. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think you need to notify tenants for common area maintenance. Its always courteous to let residents know in advance there will be changes happening and especially with potential louder noises in case some of them work from home or work night shifts. I live near St. Paul and can try to send you any good investment minded lawyers I may run into. If you need any assistance managing or marketing your properties in the MN/WI let me know and I would be glad to help.

User Stats

Votes
Bryon Andrews
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Feb 13 2024, 09:56

Hey @Andy V. Get in touch with Kwame Osafo-Addo. He works specifically with small landlords in situations just like this. I will send you a message with his info. 

• Real Estate Agent Wisconsin (#110141) and Minnesota (#40860934)

• 715-892-4596
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tim Swierczek
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Apr 10 2024, 18:48
Quote from @Andy V.:

Good evening all.

Recently purchased a multi-unit in Hastings, MN and inherited all 12 tenants. I've been calling around to real estate lawyers but can't get a call back - requesting recommendations on a lawyer that is willing to work with a small landlord. 

Some of the questions I'll need to discuss with them:

1) The home is renting by the room (grand-fathered with the city zoning) and month-to-month, and I want to understand which of the laws apply to our situation. For example, I'm assuming that I don't need to notify the tenant before we come in to the common areas for maintenance.

2) As far as I can see, the previous landlord was not paying the tenants simple interest on their security deposit when they checked out. I wanted to understand if those rules are any different for month-to-month.

Thank you in advance for any assistance/recommendations!

Andy

You don't need to notify the tenants for common areas provided there is no expectation of privacy in those areas, however as another posted, you may still piss someone off so the best practice is to send a message that you will be doing common maintenance work. If you know with advance notice I'd still notify 24 hours in advance. Again, not a legal requirement as much as a good practice. There is no sense in ruining goodwill over a trivial issue. And, you don't want a good tenant to leave over the issue.

For the simple interest requirement, there is no exception for Month to month leases. It's extraordinarily cheap. One percent per year. You need to pay it even if you didn't receive it from the previous owner. But if we are talking a $800 deposit it is $8/year. Your time is worth more than the time it takes to calculate the interest. 

• Lender Arizona (#103522), Colorado (#103522), New Jersey (#103522), Florida (#103522), Wisconsin (#103522), Minnesota (#103522), Tennessee (#103522), and Texas (#103522)

The Tim Swierczek Team - Gold Star Mortgage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Heather S.
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Apr 11 2024, 14:38

@Bryon Andrews - can you share Kwame Osafo-Addo's information with me as well?  I have a legal matter and live in St.Paul, would love to reach out to see if he could help me.