User Stats

Votes
Elijah Berg
Votes |
Insurance Covering MultiFamily HouseHack

Elijah Berg
Posted Jan 11 2024, 20:52

Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of shopping around for insurance quotes in Upstate NY for a multifamily that I plan to owner-occupy. while trying to pull as much relevant experience/info as I can. Browsing this forum I see a mix of answers suggesting to have the entire duplex shell be insured using a Dwelling Fire (Landlord Policy) and then you would carry a renters policy for your Personal Belongings as well as the tenant. Or due to the fact I am owner-occupying the house then the proper form is normally a Homeowners policy while the coverage for the rented portion would be automatic. Just a little confused about the best course of action I should take in this case.

Any real experience or insight for finding the best coverage as a homeowner and landlord for Liability, Slander, etc. would be greatly appreciated 
Thank you all for your time and consideration!!

User Stats

Votes
Tony Wilcox
  • Insurance Agent
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
Replied Jan 12 2024, 07:05

You would want to get a homeowners policy with an endorsement for renting one of the units in the house out. This will cover you, your belongings, the dwelling, and liability if something happened.