Case-Shiller Home Price Index - Need help understanding the data.

3 Replies

I would like to know the average price increases in my market by percentage (so that I can include it in a property value increase in a buy & hold analysis). I usually use trend graphix but they only go back 15 years and I'd like to go back 30 years so I was looking at the case-shiller home price index and after trying to find the answer on my own, I cannot figure out how to convert this data into percentages. 

Thank you in advance for reading this and any advice! 

Originally posted by @Molly Ivey :

I would like to know the average price increases in my market by percentage (so that I can include it in a property value increase in a buy & hold analysis). I usually use trend graphix but they only go back 15 years and I'd like to go back 30 years so I was looking at the case-shiller home price index and after trying to find the answer on my own, I cannot figure out how to convert this data into percentages. 

Thank you in advance for reading this and any advice! 

I've been at this long enough that I don't include any projected increase in value in my decisions. The market goes up and I buy, the market goes down and I buy. Projections are always wrong and then the market changes anyway.

I agree with mike, and I certainly wouldn’t want to use 30 year old data/averages. MAYBE, you look at the last 10 years but even that’s pry too long. When I was buying in Las Vegas during the recession, houses for $110k that were $300k a year earlier people were asking if I was afraid they’d keep going down from there. I said I hope so, then I can afford to buy more. 

Yes, I hear you and was originally going to leave blank but curiosity got the best of me and I don't like leaving things blank. I also want to know for my own knowledge as well. The problem with going back 10 years is that it shows nothing but increase and our market is softening, that was my reasoning for back 30 years so that I could get a few cycles of price appreciation and depreciation. 

I'd still love to know how to understand the case-chiller index if anyone can explain?