Today we’re excited to bring you an interview with a savvy investor who’s done over 500 deals — Cameron Skinner. Cameron got his start with new construction spec builds in the late 1990s and due to the changing economy created an interesting twist that we know you guys are going to just love. This episode is packed with incredible, actionable advice that will leave you shouting, “I’m totally going to do that strategy!”
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafe.com/pockets
Fire Round Sponsor
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: PATLive. PATLive’s team of superstar receptionists will always leave your customers delighted. Every agent goes through a rigorous training course before they can answer calls, and we’ve got quality assurance down to an art.
Learn more by visiting PATLive.com/biggerpockets!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Cameron got started by partnering with someone
- Why he started with new construction
- Can anyone build to rent?
- How to calculate capex and why it’s important
- What exactly cost segregation is
- How to get tax benefits now
- How many deals Cameron has done so far
- His experience during the crash
- What you should know about how lease options work
- When to seek professional advice regarding the laws in your area
- How to know your market
- Downsides of the build-rent strategy
- Tricks for finding the best contractor
- How he completed so many deals without picking up a hammer
- How to keep an “investor mindset” to find the best deals
- The importance of finding out your skill set
- Why Cameron has no employees
- The cost of tearing down a property
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Analysis
- BiggerPockets Calculators
- BiggerPockets Forums
- Keyword Alerts
- BiggerPockets Meet
- Tax, Legal Issues, Contracts, Self-Directed IRA Forum Category
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor by Amanda Han and Matt MacFarland
- Brandon Turner’s The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down
- The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason
- Thou Shall Prosper by Rabbi Daniel Lapin
- “I’m not worried about 20 years from now because I might be dead — so I want to take the tax benefits now.” (Tweet This!)