Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
1031 Exchanges
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Harding
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Providence, RI
Votes |
Is it possible to 1031 a property and pay back rehab costs?

Amanda Harding
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Providence, RI
Posted Oct 26 2022, 07:52

I rehabbed a 3 family using a mix of hard money and my own credit. I have been renting it out for the last year and was hoping to cash-out refi to pay back my investors and myself but my appraisal came back too low for me to pay back myself. I am considering selling but would like to 1031 exchange-- is it possible for me to pay myself back for the rehab costs I put on credit if the money isn't tied to a loan? 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
Lender
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied Oct 26 2022, 08:56
My experience with clients is that a 1031 is toward purchase price.
overage back to you at taxable rate at end of Transactional period.
Much success.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 26 2022, 09:03

Of course I am not a CPA or 1031 Intermediary. In my experience, IRS views anything other than purchase cost as outside of 1031 exchange boundary and will tax you accordingly. Best to consult a 1031 Intermediary for complete information. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brad S.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Oct 26 2022, 09:10
Quote from @Amanda Harding:

I rehabbed a 3 family using a mix of hard money and my own credit. I have been renting it out for the last year and was hoping to cash-out refi to pay back my investors and myself but my appraisal came back too low for me to pay back myself. I am considering selling but would like to 1031 exchange-- is it possible for me to pay myself back for the rehab costs I put on credit if the money isn't tied to a loan? 

Sure it's possible, but that would be considered taxable "Boot."  In order to defer all the taxes, you need to utilize all the cash from the sale and not reduce your debt liabilities. So, if you net $100k on the sale and have $50k in equity, you should buy at least a $100k replacement property, with at least $50k down payment and $50k mortgage. The best way to do what you are thinking, is to complete the 1031 and then refinance the cashout after. Then it is just a loan, and not taxable.

But, as always, never take tax advice from an anonymous post on the interwebs, talk to a CPA.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Oct 26 2022, 09:25

@Amanda Harding, If you touch money or purchase less than you sold, the IRS considers that a taking of profit.

However, the way to accomplish what you want tax free would be to complete the 1031 exchange.  And then immediately do a cash out refi of the new property.  A refi is not a taxable event.  So you get the cash you want, defer all tax in the 1031.  And best of all, the tenant is making your mortgage payments.